1988 Tercel DX Sedan 4D for sale (needs engine)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
spatulajones
My tercel:: 1988

1988 Tercel DX Sedan 4D for sale (needs engine)

Post by spatulajones »

Hello,

I have a 1988 Toyota Tercel DX Sedan 4D for sale, best offer. I purchased this car last year and replaced timing belt. Unfortunately, my teenager didn't pay attention to the dash lights and ended up driving it with no coolant-killing the engine. I'm hoping someone out there would like to take on this project, the body itself is in great condition, new struts, new tires, terrific interior, A/C and heat worked etc.

Car is located in Viroqua, WI and would need to be trailered.

Best,

Eli
608-632-1011 cell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: 1988 Tercel DX Sedan 4D for sale (needs engine)

Post by rer233 »

Just a FYI- this car is an "88 4wd wagon with an automatic trans and what appears to be 138K on the odometer. Can't believe you're not gonna fix the engine! If only it wasn't on the other side of the country from me... ( I'm in Baltimore, MD.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

+1 on rer233's comment
spatulajones
My tercel:: 1988

Post by spatulajones »

rer233 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:04 pm Just a FYI- this car is an "88 4wd wagon with an automatic trans and what appears to be 138K on the odometer. Can't believe you're not gonna fix the engine! If only it wasn't on the other side of the country from me... ( I'm in Baltimore, MD.)
i know! the car itself was well cared for and the body is in amazing condition. my kid drove it dry and it overheated destroying the engine.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Usually when it over heats it just needs a head gasket, and perhaps to have the head resurfaced.

I have replaced head gasket in these toyota Tercels in about 4 hours and with only about $40 worth of parts. No special tools required, except perhaps a torque wrench (which you can rent if you do not own one). here is the link instructions to replace the head gasket: viewtopic.php?t=6059&hilit=head+gasket+replacement

That car is worth fixing, with a good head gasket, a decent daily driver Tecel4wd in the PNW will sell for over $4000. you should fix it, you and your son should do it together so you both learn something about this car, and so he will not be so careless.

BTW, when you do this, have the radiator checked for leaks, and replace the thermostat with a good quality one (not chinese made junk), and replace any questionable radiator or heater hoses. just to make sure all sources of leaks are corrected so you do not damage the new head gasket. check the water pump is good as well, it is an easy replacement when the head it off, and new ones are not too costly (do not use remanufactured or rebuilt water pumps, not worth it).

someone could fly there, fix the head gasket on site with hand tools, and than drive it back to the west coast and sell it, and make decent profit, plus get a fun road trip out of it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)