1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 6-spd seals?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Medessec
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5

1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 6-spd seals?

Post by Medessec »

Hello forum, I recently purchased an '85 L20 Tercel 4WD SR5, and have been caught a little off guard with how rare this thing and the parts for it are. Was hoping I could get some advice from the experts on my current situation and maybe some advice?

Mine is a Carbureted 4-cyl 1.5 with 216k miles, I drove it from Sacramento (where I bought it) to Stockton, CA where my uncle knows a reputable mechanic. 1st Gear doesn't work, and it turns out it was because the sleeve was all messed up and the synchros were gone. The mechanic also told me 2nd gear was on its way out, and the seals are all rock hard. He was surprised it made it without losing all of it's gear oil.

The previous owner sold it to me with a spare transmission from an '84, he mentioned it isn't a straight swap but potentially it can be used for parts, but the mechanic still needs the shift forks and seals. He said he can weld the 1st and 2nd shift forks, but he still needs the rubber seals for the gated shifter, the 4WD shifter, and the rear output. I found this write up on this forum:

viewtopic.php?t=9774

So, I've been able to find sources for the National# 222655 (Input Shaft Seal) and the O'Reilly's #221410 (4WD Shifter Seal), but I'm not 100% sure about what to do with the rear output seal- SKF #12745 I found on RockAuto but I couldn't source the Beck/Arnley 052-3899 seal. I found a couple of sites that might seem to have the OEM seal (AH1904F) but I wanted to check with you guys first if I could, before pulling any triggers.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 6-spd seals?

Post by NWMO »

All of the AL25 Tercels will be carburated, the trans should be a direct swap (if 4WD). If there aren’t known failures with the parts tranny, I would swap the whole thing (maybe check the shaft seals, etc.)

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

The 83-84 tercels had different gear ratios from the 85-87s so you can swap the trans but you will need to swap your current front diff onto it.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

dlb,

The transmissions are totally separate from the diffs and are interchangeable. As long as the diffs (front and rear) are ok, simply swap the trans from any 83’-88’ Tercel 4WD. This picture shows my parts car transmission (84’) that was temporarily in my 85’ and lost 5th gear. I swapped the 5th gear set, gears, synchros and all and put it back in. Driving it again.

The transmission in the vise is the original from the 85’, with the cases pulled off. Damage to the idler gear and one side of 4th gear when the main idler bearing failed. Likely a parts trans going forward (now missing 5th gear as well).

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I guess I didn't word it very well but my point is that the front diff should not be swapped, otherwise the OP will end up with mismatched gear ratios. Many people in the past have swapped them together and wound up with that problem so I think it's worth noting.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Gotcha David,

I can see what you were saying after reading it again (didn’t read carefully enough the first time). Depending on how one attacks it, he may pull/install the original diff to swap the transmission. It can certainly be a pain in a few spots, but after doing it a couple of times, I lean towards dropping the trans out the bottom, leaving the engine and front diff in place. And maybe I shouldn’t say “prefer” because I’ve only done it the one way, but I can picture what’s involved the other way and feel comfortable I would “prefer” dropping the transmission.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

24. Seal for Extension Housing Shift Shaft hole, Toyota Part # 90311-18013 is 8mm Thk, Timken 1015N does work but its 6mm Thk, Napa 6610 is 7mm thk. Hole in tranny 1.099” OD, shaft dia .709”18mm. Seal .6595” ID x 1.111” OD x .319” thk. Colonial Seal size A 18x28x8. (Updated 12-22-15)[/b

25. Output Seal for rear driveline: Orig equip # AH1904F, O’reilys 223252, Beck/Arnley #052-3899 SKF #12745. Hole in tranny 2.042” 52mm dia, Shaft dia 1.259” 32mm. Seal 1.184” ID x 2.055” OD x.432” thk. Colonial Seal size A or AS 32x52x11 (Updated 12-23-15)

26. Input Shaft Seal (top/front of tranny). Timken/Natl #222655, Hole in tranny 1.884” dia, dia of shaft 1.022”26mm. Seal .958” ID x 1.899” OD x ID.272” Thk. Colonial Seal size AS 26x48x7 (Updated 12-22-15)

27. 4wd Shift Lever Seal in Transfer Hsg. Timken 16x24x6, SKF 552505, Hole in tranny .938dia. Shaft dia .628”16mm. Seal .593” ID x .954 OD x .235 Thk. Colonial Seal A 16x24x7 (Updated 12-23-15)

Search "transmission notes"
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Medessec

Post by Medessec »

I ended up finding all 4 seals.

2 I was able to get from O'Reillys, but the other two I had to source from ebay, I found them by part numbers and compared them with stock photos from other sites to make sure they were the right ones.

The mechanic who was working on my transmission got them in and they seem to work so far, no serious leaks from the trans. Will be watching it as I drive it to make sure there are no smaller leaks.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great to hear!

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Medessec

Post by Medessec »

It's been three weeks and I've wiped off the underside... I've had to clean up a lot of oil mess from past leaks. I replaced the valve cover gasket but I'm pretty sure the distributor seal is leaking, there's oil residue all along the side of the engine beneath it and onto the bell housing and powered steering pump.

However I am noticing a glistening and very small dribble along the transmission middle seal, a yellowish transparent oil which I assume is the gear oil, right in the center of the body of the transmission. There's a similar leak directly across the back seal, close to the transmission support although I'm pretty sure that's coming from the 4WD shifter seal as there seems to be signs of oil in where the shifter shaft goes in. There is a couple of spots on the ground below the transmission too, so the leak is not big at all but definitely needing attention.

Since I've scrubbed it up, I'll drive it one more time to hopefully get a good visual on the rate of leaking at all leaks. I'll call up the transmission mechanic if it seems to be consistently leaking. I am wondering if the 4WD shifter seal can be removed and replaced easily though.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yes, the 4WD shifter seal isn’t bad. Now, I have fought getting the cast iron linkage off. Check the FSM, some good info. Good luck!

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Both the distributor o-ring and 4wd selector seal are fairly easy to replace. Here's the thread on the selector seal:

viewtopic.php?t=9701

To replace the distributor o-ring, just remove the cap and take note of the rotor's position. Then undo the 12 mm bolt and remove the distributor, replace the o-ring, slide the distributor back in and make sure the rotor is in the same position as it was earlier. Then use a timing gun to reset the timing to 5 or 10 degrees BTDC, depending on your preference.