Front mounted winches?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
AlexArrow
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Wagon 4WD

Front mounted winches?

Post by AlexArrow »

I would like to see peoples front-mounted winch set-ups.

I have a small one I would like to have on mine, but want to see how others have done so. Sure looks like I would need to remove the front bumper, make and attach a 'frame' going to the front subframes, as I didn't see anywhere else and the bumper is all plastic.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Front mounted winches?

Post by NWMO »

There is a lightweight metal “body” wrapped by plastic for the bumpers. You are correct, a significantly more substantial bumper would be best for any winch set up.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I have a winch mounted inside my grill. I did not remove the bumper to install it. I was dropping the cross member as part of a lift, so I tied into the top end of the 2 bolts for that ( just underneath the battery). I also added a piece of angle iron between the bumper mount bolts. So I did undo the bumper mounts but did not remove the bumper itself. There was a lot of fabrication involved in mounting this winch but I am happy with it.
I will dig up a pic and add it on here.
I can add more detail if anyone wants.
Also, I should mention that I have not tested it out yet under load. I really should give it a light testing. I have not managed to get myself stuck yet!
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

winch mount.jpg
something like this would outstanding way to do it.

I also like the kind that uses a hitch receiver mount, you can have a receiver both on the front and the back. store the winch inside the car and mounted it where you need it on front or back. lower picture is receiver type mount
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD 5 speed wagon

Post by eightyfive4WD »

My vote would be a receiver mounted winch, as Petros suggests. With weight being the most significant factor for most choices on the T4, I believe the receiver mount style winch gives a good balance of low weight and adaptability. You could fabricate hitch receivers on both the front & rear bumper, safely stow the winch in the back of the car, and hook it up to either the front or the rear when you're in trouble.

Nothing wrong with a larger steel bumper but I guess it entirely depends on how much abuse you expect your front end to receive.
1985 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD 5 spd wagon (manual swapped, daily driver)
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD access cab long bed (road trip/adventure-mobile)
Tercelouoffroad
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4wd

Post by Tercelouoffroad »

simon84 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:35 pm I have a winch mounted inside my grill. I did not remove the bumper to install it. I was dropping the cross member as part of a lift, so I tied into the top end of the 2 bolts for that ( just underneath the battery). I also added a piece of angle iron between the bumper mount bolts. So I did undo the bumper mounts but did not remove the bumper itself. There was a lot of fabrication involved in mounting this winch but I am happy with it.
I will dig up a pic and add it on here.
I can add more detail if anyone wants.
Also, I should mention that I have not tested it out yet under load. I really should give it a light testing. I have not managed to get myself stuck yet!

Hello
I would like photo of your winch bracket please :P