Anyone Got an Extra Control Arm? (right side)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
TYT
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5

Anyone Got an Extra Control Arm? (right side)

Post by TYT »

I'm looking for a replacement passenger-side control arm.I'll take both control arms, too, if anyone has them. I discovered rather rusty control arms as I set about doing some suspension and steering system repairs. I soaked the control arms in a rust dissolving solution and began a process of reviving them, but at this point it seems it might just better to replace the right side arm, at least. Let me know!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Anyone Got an Extra Control Arm? (right side)

Post by NWMO »

Any pics? The front “control” arms are solid cast iron I believe. I can’t imagine needing to replace one because of rust. I may have a couple, but it’s crazy busy right now.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TYT

Post by TYT »

NWMO wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:52 pm Any pics? The front “control” arms are solid cast iron I believe. I can’t imagine needing to replace one because of rust. I may have a couple, but it’s crazy busy right now.

Chris

The "sockets" where the sway bar cushions sit, were rusted out pretty badly (sway bar was worse). After dissolving the rust in solution and cleaning up the sockets, there is less than a millimeter of thickness left at the very edge.
thin control arm.jpg
A control arm in better condition has much more thickness at the center, correct?
control arm.jpg
Because rust thinned out the sockets, new cushions sit lower and the fitment of those cushions is not as snug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Wear in that location wouldn’t particularly worry me. The “cushions” (don’t remember the correct term), meet in the middle when sandwiched. If they don’t “tighten” satisfactorily between the large metal “washers”, I would find a couple of washers about the same OD as the “cushion” and use them as spacers to snug things up.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TYT

Post by TYT »

NWMO wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:20 pm Wear in that location wouldn’t particularly worry me. The “cushions” (don’t remember the correct term), meet in the middle when sandwiched. If they don’t “tighten” satisfactorily between the large metal “washers”, I would find a couple of washers about the same OD as the “cushion” and use them as spacers to snug things up.

Chris
Ok thanks for the tip!

-Lucas
TYT

Post by TYT »

On second thought, I'm going to try and track down a replacement, or figure out a way to strengthen the center of that rusted out socket. It seems much too thin. The cushions (and they are called "cushions" by the way, though you'll also see them show up as just "bushings" in catalogues), need to sit as snug as possible, or they will rub more on the inside of those sockets, not to mention make it easier for moisture to get in there. I can seal the control arm up with rust preventative coating but if the cushions on both sides of the socket have too much play, it may just be a matter of time before that coating is rubbed off and rust sets in again. If rust gets in there again, it'll eat through the thin center quickly. Chris let me know your thoughts on that, curious to hear what you think around these particular concerns with slapping the old one back on.
Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 3.37.16 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

TYT,

When I renewed mine, everything sandwiched in so tight, there wasn’t room for sliding (wear) per se. Even if the thinnest center portion wasn’t there, the cushions squeezing from either side should keep things in place IMO.

BUT, it’s your ride and if you would feel better with a replacement, it shouldn’t be that bad to find. I sold the front spindles off my parts car earlier this year, I expect the control arms are still on the sub-frame.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
TYT

Post by TYT »

If you have time and you're interested in selling me yours, please let me know.

I did happen to find a replacement right hand (passenger side) arm on ebay - the side I was primarily after - for $43, free shipping. But I'm thinking I'll go ahead and replace both. So if you have a left hand (drivers side) control arm you'd be willing to sell me, let me know. Would very much appreciate it.

-Lucas
Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 12.24.08 PM.png
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I looked on the parts car and it’s there. I was quite surprised how thick the middle iron is. Unfortunately, the “captured” bolt in the subframe is loose, so I couldn’t remove the bolt. I need a part as well and when I go out next week, I will try cutting the bolt.

PS- Did you get your rear diff swapped? I would be interested in the 4.11 gears/diff.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
TYT

Post by TYT »

I hope it's not too much of a hassle to pull. I certainly appreciate your help. Once again, all I need now is the left hand (driver's side) control arm. I purchased a replacement for the right side (which I was primarily after at first) on Ebay.

I haven't swapped the diff yet. I just saw your message on my other thread, and yes it would be great to trade. I'll wait for pics once you get a chance to pull and inspect it.