'83 T4WD SR5 wagon added to wrecking yard in Portland, OR on 5/10/2022

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Re: '83 T4WD SR5 wagon added to wrecking yard in Portland, OR on 5/10/2022

Post by duragauge »

I've been off at the Gambler 500 in central Oregon the past few days and just got back.

Hopefully, nightcrawler was able to get over there and grab some parts. The weather's been nasty lately. I might put off a trip to Portland for a few more days to see if the sun comes out.

Petros, how much does the transaxle weigh? Wondering if that's a 2 man job.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

duragauge wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:27 pm Petros, how much does the transaxle weigh? Wondering if that's a 2 man job.

I have pulled the whole diff/bellhousing/gearbox/transfer case by my self as a unit. not too bad, perhaps it weighs about 110 lbs or so.

you first pull the shift lever from inside the car, than remove the upper bellhousing bolts, and starter bolts, and the side mount bolts from the engine compartment, and remove the clutch cable (from under the hood). Than you go under, pull the rest of the bell housing bolts, lower side mounts, exhaust bracket, electrical connectors, and than remove the cross member bolts and let the rear of the trans assembly drop down. you will need to remove the drive shaft, and the two cv axles first (I find it easiest to unbolt the bottom of the struts and just pull out the inner cv-spline shafts from the side of the front diff, and let them hang free). the 4wd selector linkage has to be removed from underneath as well. Once it is all free of mounts/bolts, you should be able to pull/wiggle it straight back and the rear touches the ground first, and keep pulling back and the front falls out. you will have to drag it out from under the car, sometimes it is difficult, going forward with it usually have more clearance. putting a seat cushion or other pad under it protects it, but usually it will not get harmed by just dropping it on the ground.

I have pulled a trans by myself in about 50 min from a Tercel4wd at a picknpull, but I had done it a number of times and knew what tools I needed, and exactly what sequence it had to come apart.

I always put the shift lever back into it and shift through all the gears, turn the input shaft by hand and verify the outputs turn in each gear. all should rotate smoothly withing grinding or chunky movements, usually it is good. in our case any transmission will have some parts that can be salvaged to use to rebuild another bad trans. Replacement parts are not available (except for the generic bearings and seals), so all of them are worth getting just to get spare parts, but it is certainly worth getting if it is good. if the car was not wrecked, than either it has a bad engine or a bad transmission, the previous owner did not want to pay to fix it. I have got good transmissions from other wise good T4wd out of a wrecking yard that just has a trashed clutch. the mechanic likely told them it was not worth fixing (fool), so the owners junked it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
nightcrawler07
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

Post by nightcrawler07 »

duragauge wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:27 pm I've been off at the Gambler 500 in central Oregon the past few days and just got back.

Hopefully, nightcrawler was able to get over there and grab some parts. The weather's been nasty lately. I might put off a trip to Portland for a few more days to see if the sun comes out.

Petros, how much does the transaxle weigh? Wondering if that's a 2 man job.
I got the door I wanted, sadly the color is way off from what I thought it was in the picture on the yards website. The entire interior was gone when I got there Sunday sadly, and I was really hoping to get that drivers seat. The search will continue. Feels like I struck out but just missed the main thing I was hoping to get.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

By the way, I fixed my drivers seat by locating intact passenger seat with similar fabric. You can swap the fabric and seat foam from passenger seat to driver seat. It will probably increase also lifetime your new drivers seat since passenger seats are usually a lot less used and they tend to wear on the other side.
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

That Tercel no longer shows up in their inventory online, unfortunately.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Next time there's a terdcel in the willamette valley let me know. I can swing by and grab parts for anyone, then ship em out or just hold em for a bit for someone.