Radiator

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
jessie1026
My tercel:: 86 Tercel sr5 wagon

Radiator

Post by jessie1026 »

Does anyone know if any other kind of radiator would fit on my 86 sr5. I am having a really hard time finding a new one.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Radiator

Post by Petros »

seems my normal sourses are all out of stock, there is this one on ebay. a bit higher than the last one I bought:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193357932408?f ... SwzLlXhaqg

Summit racing makes a fairly nice all welded aluminum "universal" radiator for $300.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

jessie1026 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:05 am Does anyone know if any other kind of radiator would fit on my 86 sr5. I am having a really hard time finding a new one.
I have this used one from my 1985 SR5. It was never clear to me if it leaked from the tank gaskets or if there was leakage from around the hoses.

The tank gaskets can be replaced, if you are up for that kind of project and can get new gaskets.

As far as I know, the core is fine.

It would need a fan control temperature sensor and a new cap.
~
Radiator.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

I got a Spectra Premium CU813 off of Amazon for my '86 SR5, but it appears to be out of stock there.

User simon84 picked up shinny aluminum LILAND GLOBAL 813AA from RockAuto for his '87 and has good things to say about it. I don't see why that wouldn't work in an '86, and they seem to be in stock right now.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

duragauge wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:59 pm
User simon84 picked up shinny aluminum LILAND GLOBAL 813AA from RockAuto for his '87 and has good things to say about it. I don't see why that wouldn't work in an '86, and they seem to be in stock right now.
that is a great deal for an all aluminum radiator with welded tanks. last one I saw was $300. I would consider buying one even as a spare. I have recently had bad luck the the plastic radiators. the plastic decomposes with age, and without warning the whole top blew off and overheated, warping the head. not worth the cost or weight savings to have a time bomb waiting to go off.

the years of application look odd, it appears to be one for a wagon, but it says '87-88, the '87-88 Tercel (non wagon) is a totally different radiator, longer and lower with the inlet/outlets in different locations. even so, it would be worth adapting at that price, even it is not correct.
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

The inlet/outlet look the same as the Spectra I put in my '86 SR5.

The Liland Global website has very little information, but they indicate it is compatible with 83-86 Tercels. RockAuto and other sites list it with the 87-88 Tercel.
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

The radiator is working fine.
Only complaint is that the drain tap was stuck and the tap handle got stripped. I was having something welded back onto my car(a piece of the head snapped off - but that's another story!) and while I was at the welders I asked them if they could fix it and so they braised it back on.
So check that it's ok when you get it out of the box.

Hope it works out for you.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
Ls1sx
My tercel:: 86 SR5

Post by Ls1sx »

Bringing this thread back to life.
I have been searching and waiting a few months for a radiator to be back in stock. Anyone have any suggestions where there are radiators for a 86 SR5 or other ones that fit?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I think I saw on the fb group that there were a few available either on amazon or rockauto lately.
Ls1sx
My tercel:: 86 SR5

Post by Ls1sx »

Been waiting 4 months for rockauto and Amazon to have their radiators back in stock, I called rockauto they said they are possibly a year out for restocking. I have a South Dakota trip planned next week, I couldn’t wait
so I went with a 2000 civic 4 core off eBay . I recommend getting the inlet and outlet size 1 1/4” . I used the drain plug as a place to put the fan temp switch in, had to tap it 16 x 1.5 mm.
Fit in pretty well , did had to modify the fan shroud . Going to get a factory civic radiator bracket for the top
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that looks nice, smaller size,but the 4 row radiator should have similar cooling capacity as the 2 row Tercel radiator. I see them on Ebay for $139 for the welded aluminum ones, not a bad price!