Tracing Tercel Tests

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Tracing Tercel Tests

Post by Petros »

that Euro spec Tercel has 71 bhp and 86 ft-lb torque, and it weighes about 200 lbs less than the the North American varient.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

These Finnish magazines a one brochure feature T4wds:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K-Business
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Post by drafting3d »

Wow these are a very good find! Well done
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the Tercel4wd would be an ideal car for the northern European market, 4wd and economical, and a suitable size for the city streets. very unlike the behemoth beasts they sell as 4wd in North America, and pretty much today as well.

I mean there are no small economy 4wd/AWD cars available for the USDM today. such a shame, the Yaris, the Fit and other small cars are available in AWD in japan and Europe, but thanks to stupid federal regulations we can not get them in the States.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Petros wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:23 pm the Tercel4wd would be an ideal car for the northern European market, 4wd and economical, and a suitable size for the city streets. very unlike the behemoth beasts they sell as 4wd in North America, and pretty much today as well.

I mean there are no small economy 4wd/AWD cars available for the USDM today. such a shame, the Yaris, the Fit and other small cars are available in AWD in japan and Europe, but thanks to stupid federal regulations we can not get them in the States.
Hi Petros,

Is it regulations or marketing that is the issue. People are no longer made to feel safe in a smaller car. There are a few small CUVs around that have AWD and there will soon be a new Toyota Corolla Cross Wagon (but why no hybrid?). Unfortunately non of the new cars have the practicality of the older blocky 4wd Wagons. Marketing has decided that all cars need to be compromised swooshy rounded shapes with aerodynamic and pedestrian safety concerns of course.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You are incorrect, it was idiotic federal regulations that kept many models out of this country. the feds came up with the stupid Corporate Average Fleet Economy standard (CAFE). they required each maker to improve their average of all car models increases over several successive years. to meet the standard they had to strip out many options to save weight from one year to the next, and on the AWD models, not offer them at all as to not bring down the average. it is really a stupid way to force us to buy economy cars. This average has nothing to do with consumer demand of each model, they can sell all big cars, but their fleet offering meets the standards. all of the makers make better profit on larger cars, the bigger the car, the bigger the engine, the more they sell (this is a marketing fact), so to meet the CAFE standard, they have to bring in a super high economy entry level model to bring their average up. that is why we can not get the AWD version of the yaris, fit or similar small cars. Rather than let the consumer decide if they will pay the extra cost in both price and economy to get the AWD option, the stupid rules, so a car company can continue to sell their biggest most popular sellers, but has to keep the small cars light and with high economy. it does not matter than no one buys it, only that is brings the "fleet" average up. many of the stupid so called safety features (that are of questionable value, like the 5mph bumpers) add a lot of weight and cost to the cars, so they have to make them heavier and bigger, also harming economy.

there is a demand for smaller cars, not as large as bigger luxury cars, but there is a big market for economy cars with AWD. Subaru make their whole line up based on their reputation of smaller AWD cars, even though most models are not longer that small anymore.

if the feds more properly measured pollution output by parts per mile, rather than parts per million, it would also greatly improve air quality and fuel economy. all of these standards were brought about not by thoughtful consideration, but by the lobbyists of teh largest companies, getting what they want to increase their profits at our expense, and profits over air pollution too.

Law making is a complex process because of the special interests, campaign contributors, lobbyists, and voters desires (mark twain said there are two things you do not want to know how they are made: laws, and sausage). the demands of each group is often at odds with each other, so our crooked positions hide it, and depend on voters being ignorant of the corruption going on in the name of the people. the cars they offer to sell us should be driven by consumer demands and desires, not determined by deep pocket campaign contributors, lobbyists, or other special interest.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I'm attaching some other road tests. One showing the Carib in the mud is from Driver magazine made for the JDM market - magazine is dated 11/05/1982.
i-img1000x750-1630724898ynjzqx7923.jpg

More tests here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K-Business
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

those are awesome Terceldude, nice contribution.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

How I'd like to read that Overland magazine article. Thanks mate!
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Petros wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:44 pm those are awesome Terceldude, nice contribution.
You're welcome. I am trying to be like a Joel Sartore of automotive contributions in reference mainly to our cars here and abroad so that future generations will remember them/know what existed back then.
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

terceldude wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:57 pm
Petros wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:44 pm those are awesome Terceldude, nice contribution.
You're welcome. I am trying to be like a Joel Sartore of automotive contributions in reference mainly to our cars here and abroad so that future generations will remember them/know what existed back then.

Here's a Carib test from a 1982 issue of Japanese mag Hot Dog Press of the Basic DLX model of Carib.
K-Business
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

That is so bizzare! A JDM right hand drive Carib in the USA and not even a SR5/ AV11

I saw a lot of these 'lifestyle camping' type magazines in Japan, all about accessories!

I do like the girls hat where she is dressed in glad bags haha.

Thanks mate!
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Mattel wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:43 pm That is so bizzare! A JDM right hand drive Carib in the USA and not even a SR5/ AV11

I saw a lot of these 'lifestyle camping' type magazines in Japan, all about accessories!

I do like the girls hat where she is dressed in glad bags haha.

Thanks mate!
Anytime! 😊
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

This issue of Consumer Reports from January 1983 did a test of our car and other cars with it:
https://backissues.com/issue/Consumer-R ... nuary-1983
K-Business