Tackling the head gasket soon and then some, need advice

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xmagnus
My tercel:: 1986 base?

Tackling the head gasket soon and then some, need advice

Post by xmagnus »

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and the Tercel Wagon world. I picked mine up knowing it needed a head gasket , I've done the research and think I'm ready to take it on, I have experience working on cars and I'm a commerical electrician by trade, but am by no means a professional mechanic. I digress.

I'm planning on just changing out a lot of parts because the car has been sitting since 2016, she starts and runs tho. Besides what's listed below let me know if there is something I should definitely do while I'm that far in, thanks!

Gaskets and seals kit from rockauto
Water pump
Themostat, and housing
Alternator
Timing belt
Power steering belt
Radiator hoses
(Rad was replaced, but worth replacing again?)
Oil pump(seals only)
Crank shaft seal
Camshaft seal

I think that's it?

I'm planning on taking a few weekends to complete the work since I'll likely be alone, but if anyone is in Tacoma or the area and wants to come help me, I'll gladly provide the food and beverages lol.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tackling the head gasket soon and then some, need advice

Post by NWMO »

Your list looks pretty good. I wouldn’t be inclined to replace the alternator or radiator unless there are known issues. I would likely price the oil pump and replace while there.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the alternator, water pump and oil pump are all fairly reliable, I would not replace any unless you know they are bad. my factory alternator lasted about 240,000 miles, so I would not replace any of those unless they are known problems. My oil pump is original factory at over 400k miles, on the third engine rebuild, still strong. Oil pumps are not a problem on these engines.

The water pump, normal life is usually about 100k + miles, is easy to replace anytime (it takes me about 30 min to replace using hand tools), no leaks and the shaft is tight, keep it. Same with the radiator, if it looks good, no leaks and has no scale or build up, keep it until it is time to replace it.

if the head is off, replace the 4 exhaust valves, and all of the valve stem seals. both are cheap, the exhaust vales get heat damaged (invisible) and can break apart. Replace the exhaust valves when ever the head is off.

cam and crank oil seals are good idea. Only buy and install a good quality thermostat, it is good to replace, they seem to go bad if they car has been sitting, but the cheap ones are junk right out of the box, not worth the risk of damaging the new head gasket. Good ones are Japanese or USA made, usually cost $20 to $30. no need to replace the t-stat housing unless it is damaged, you will need a new gasket for it, and use sealant to hold the new t-stat in place while you assemble the housing, it tends to slip out of place as you tighten the cover, and you will not know it until all your new coolant leaks out of the housing.

make sure you read through and use the procedure I outline at this link. it is better than the one in the FSM.

viewtopic.php?t=6059
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xmagnus
My tercel:: 1986 base?

Post by xmagnus »

Petros wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 pm the alternator, water pump and oil pump are all fairly reliable, I would not replace any unless you know they are bad. my factory alternator lasted about 240,000 miles, so I would not replace any of those unless they are known problems.
So the vehicle has 266k mi on it, and the alternator has got oil all over it, well the whole engine is covered in oil, so that's why I figured might be worth replacing and they are fairly cheap.

But I'll maybe take a closer look at the stock one before getting a new one.

Figured the water pump was cheap enough and easy enough to tackle.
Petros wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 pm if the head is off, replace the 4 exhaust valves, and all of the valve stem seals. both are cheap, the exhaust vales get heat damaged (invisible) and can break apart. Replace the exhaust valves when ever the head is off.
I will look into the exhaust valves and stem seals job, thanks for the heads up.

Should I do all the valves? Or just the exhaust?
Petros wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:20 pm cam and crank oil seals are good idea. Only buy and install a good quality thermostat, it is good to replace, they seem to go bad if they car has been sitting, but the cheap ones are junk right out of the box, not worth the risk of damaging the new head gasket. Good ones are Japanese or USA made, usually cost $20 to $30. no need to replace the t-stat housing unless it is damaged, you will need a new gasket for it, and use sealant to hold the new t-stat in place while you assemble the housing, it tends to slip out of place as you tighten the cover, and you will not know it until all your new coolant leaks out of the housing.

make sure you read through and use the procedure I outline at this link. it is better than the one in the FSM.

viewtopic.php?t=6059
Your head gasket post was actually the reason I decided to purchase the vehicle knowing the head gasket was bad. I have read through it a couple times and will likely re read a few more times before I really start in on that job.

Do you have a preference on brand for head gaskets?

I've heard stay away from fel-pro, but know you have recommended them in the past, figured id try and get one from Japan or USA, even considered ordering 2 or 3 to see which ones fit best, then just giving away the unused ones.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the Toyota brand head gasket is the best, but costly. I have used most brands of head gaskets, fel pro are okay quality, USA made as I recall. if you can find a Japanese made head gasket, it would likely be good quality. Do not install Chinese made head gasket, not worth the risk. usually good head gaskets you can buy from Rockauto cheap.

Intake valves should be food to reuse, they do not get hot like the exhaust valves. a machine shop can resurface the face of the valves is beat up, check the stem for wear. if there is excessive wear on the stem it would likely be only reason to replace the intake vales, likely than the guides should also be replaced. that happens when the previous owner ran it with dirty gritty oil for too long.

the alternator is likely okay, motor oil would not likely harm it. besides, the alternator is an easy replacement, it is right on top, no reason to change it out unless it is known bad. I would not replace it with a cheap re-manufactured alternator, they unfortunately are not reliable. if you have to replace it, replace with a new alternator. well worth it.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)