MR2 Triangle Wheels

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

MR2 Triangle Wheels

Post by tabercro »

Hi,

I have a question for those running MR2 triangle wheels. This is probably a silly question, but I just want to be sure. I just got a set and mounted them. I was a little surprised when putting them on how little of my stock stud was exposed. I have no reason to believe that I don't have stock studs. I'm guessing that I've got ten turns on each nut after torquing them down. Seems reasonable. I'm just hoping for some perspective on this before my wheels fall off on the road!

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: MR2 Triangle Wheels

Post by dlb »

Yep, that's plenty of stud. All good.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

The MR2 triangles are designed for the shouldered lug nuts. I don’t think you would want to use the standard lug nuts with those wheels. I bought these off RA thinking I would need them for my BMW bottlecap wheels, but they are designed and work with typical lug nuts I believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tabercro

Post by tabercro »

Is the flat seat style lug what is best on the MR2 wheels? Seems like it would just grind into the alloy. I can see how the shouldered nut makes sense for these wheels, though.

Thanks.

-Tom
-Tom
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Tom,

I will look closely this evening, I've got the MR2 wheels and know I am using the shouldered studs, but it seems like there may be some thick washers as well. I know there were some washers on my 95' Prizm alloys and they will fit these cars, but I can't remember on the MR2 wheels. I will let you know this evening.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Flat face on the wheel, so a tapered lug nut is not what you want. Here is what I use, I expect heavy washers can be added to the RA lugnuts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
tabercro

Post by tabercro »

Thanks, NWMO. A quick search for which lug nuts are correct for the triangle wheels yielded several forum posts. I went with a 12X1.5 mag specific option that I found on ebay. Has the shoulder and the washer.

Thanks for the advice.
-Tom
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD