Turbo Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Turbo Tercel

Post by SirFoxx »

Petros wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:24 pm I see, so it was not the wiper fluid from the windshield reservoir, but rather you were using wiper fluid injection as an intake coolant. That is an interesting solution. I had not heard of anyone using wiper fluid as a turbo coolant, it seems to me there is some soapy component to wiper fluid that I would not want going into the intake. Most all I have heard was an alcohol and water mix. But I have not kept current with what people are doing on street mods. I was complete confused by your description, now it makes sense.

Water injection has been around for a long time, first used as I recall on WW2 turbocharge aircraft engines. It would become another system to install and sort out. Perhaps the simplest way to prevent detonation on a retrofit turbo installation.
Thats why you only use -20*F wiper fluid. I ususally look up the SDS before buying it. The cheap -20*F is literally just water and methanol / methyl alcohol. Its a decent substitute for an intercooler, but works even better with one.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5