Rubber gasket bell housing?

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
brotherbob
My tercel:: 84-85

Rubber gasket bell housing?

Post by brotherbob »

There is a rubber gasket that goes between the engine bell housing and transmission? Just above the front diff?

Got a part number?

Like a dust shield of sorts.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rubber gasket bell housing?

Post by NWMO »

Hey Bob,

Maybe 11" x 2" or so, formed plastic shield. I fought having it in place when I went to install the engine and finally gave up, it hasn't created an issue that I know of yet. It hangs down just enough that it contacts the diff first and then wants to move/roll. If the engine and transmission were married outside of the car and installed together, I believe there would be a much better chance of success.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
brotherbob
My tercel:: 84-85

Post by brotherbob »

NWMO wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:23 am Hey Bob,

Maybe 11" x 2" or so, formed plastic shield. I fought having it in place when I went to install the engine and finally gave up, it hasn't created an issue that I know of yet. It hangs down just enough that it contacts the diff first and then wants to move/roll. If the engine and transmission were married outside of the car and installed together, I believe there would be a much better chance of success.
Thanks Bubba , I may have to cut one out.
I am assembling the engine and transmission out of the car.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, it is a plastic shield, with one edge a rubber blade (like a windshield wiper blade). I think it was to keep sand and grit from getting into the bell housing. but no real harm will come to the clutch or trans, fine sand might strike the back of the flywheel if it got tossed directly into that gap, and than just get thrown outward.

all of the these shields I have pulled have either been out of place and damaged or often melted, or completely missing. In fact, I have never seen a good one. the gasket kits do not come with them, so I have just left them out. it is fairly protected area above the front diff. I have though about fabricating one, but I have driven perhaps 300,000 miles, much of that on gravel roads in tercels and have never found this an issue. I have also changed clutches and/or transmissions on perhaps 16 or 17 Tercel4wd, and have not see this poorly designed shield ever be an issue. I have seen the inside of the bell housing covered with oily fine grit, stuck to the inside of the bellhousing, but that is far from any moving parts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)