Texas T4WD 7AGE Project

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Texas T4WD 7AGE Project

Post by teranfirbt »

The inner tie rod ends will have dropped with the rack, which is bolted to the crossmember. Having dealt with bump steer correction on my MR2, I'll tell you right now that 2" drop of the crossmember is going to require dropping the outer tire rod ends 2" to match, or else your bump steer is going to be pretty... Fierce.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Yeah, have done that on several previous projects. Our tie rod end is an easy design so thankfully won't be requiring anything particularly special should it prove necessary.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

Not a whole lot to report just yet as it's been a fight between heat and rain keeping me from most of the outdoor projects. Picked up the material for the permanent spacers along with a few parts I was missing to complete the timing belt and covers install.
Need to find my trans mount bolts and carrier bearing bolts to order longer versions.
Still looking for well priced 250cc injectors and need to buy a fuel pump, filter, and lines. Did pick up a well priced adjustable FPR. Also picked up an AE86 fuel tank, pump hanger, and sender for an in-tank pump setup. If you're going to do the same you'll want to order the pump hanger direct from Toyota (hanger part number - 2320616170 | sender part number - 8332080039) and the sender wherever you can find it. Mine is OEM Toyota, but sent over from Japan via eBay if I remember correctly.

For fuel tanks you want the Spectra TO1B tank only. There is a new maker of replacement AE86 tanks called TRQ with part number FTA66927 and it does not fit. It's a bad copy of the Spectra tank and is too shallow to fit the OEM hanger and sender.

In other news, I bought a CNC knee mill.

NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great info on the fuel tank, thanks!!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

Been a minute since last update, but progress continues. If I dedicated myself to a single project, I'd probably be long since done by now, but having three project cars, plus other hobbies, and a state where 4 months of the year are too hot to do anything in an un-airconditioned space makes for slow going. Since the last update...
  • A random person saw my Tercel parked out back and left me a Factory Service Manual on my doorstep. Spoke with him and he had a gorgeous 83 SR5 that he later traded 1:1 for a gorgeous 68 Corona.
  • Had a detached garage/workshop built.
  • Got the rebroached timing gear, 4AGE oil pump, and Renault timing belt installed and set.
  • Built and installed the permanent subframe spacers.
  • Extended the steering shaft.
  • Installed polyurethane manual rack bushings.
  • Rust converted (Corroseal) the underbody and rear suspension (95% of it was just surface rust).
  • Replaced all rear suspension bushings with polyurethane and replaced all the bolts and nuts with new hardware.
  • Installed the rear lift with all new components (Pathfinder springs, Thunderbird shocks, polyurethane AE86 shock bushings).
  • Installed adjustable panhard bar from AE86.
  • Replaced carrier bearing.
  • Built new front struts out of 91 Corolla shocks and springs plus new Tercel top hats.
  • Picked up an EF all aluminum, dual row, half width radiator; fits quite nicely on the passenger side of the engine bay with mounts that almost work out of the box.
  • Rebuilt the rear drums.
  • Pieced together the front brake upgrade (AW11 booster and cylinder, AW11 caliper brackets, Celica calipers, Golf rotors+hub centric rings).
  • Replaced ball joints, inner tie rods, outer tie rods, and all front bushings with polyurethane.
  • New clutch and pressure plate, mated engine and trans, put both in the car for test fitting and determining if I want to use the FWD or RWD manifold. FWD manifold faces the firewall and needs a 180 to point filter towards front of car, intake pipe off the RWD manifold and upper radiator hose want to be in the same spot. Will probably use the FWD manifold as it's easier/cheaper for others to also use.
  • Using a bottom mount turbo manifold as a 4-1 shorty header.
  • Ordered two longer clutch cables (487, 319) to test as the stock one wants to sit right under the header. Stock (ATP Y-333) is 39.25" long, ATP Y-488 is 67.5" long, ATP Y-485 is 65.25" long, ATP Y-487 is 54.25" long, also an Isuzu cable, but for the 2.3L Trooper, looks the same as the two above just a foot shorter. ATP Y-318 is 50" long, for 70's Honda Civics, sideways barrel end for clutch pedal, with flared washer/grommet for firewall, but appears far too small for the hole in the firewall and I can't find it in stock anywhere trustworthy (only a single NOS listing on ebay at time of writing). ATP Y-319 is 51.25" long, for 70's Honda Civics, sideways barrel end for clutch pedal, adjuster on cable, but no washer/grommet for firewall (easily remedied).
  • Changed plans from a Speeduino to a Microsquirt for engine management after having more than one Speeduino fail during testing and got a good deal on the Microsquirt with harness, enough that it wasn't worth continuing to spend money on fixing or getting another Speeduino and trying again along with the need to build a harness from scratch.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by AugustusFerdinand on Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Was the tercel with the orange and brown stripes the one that belonged to the fella who gifted you the FSM? It's beautiful.

Man, these engine swaps are such huge projects. I get anxious even reading about them. Good on you for sticking with it.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

dlb wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:15 pm Was the tercel with the orange and brown stripes the one that belonged to the fella who gifted you the FSM? It's beautiful.

Man, these engine swaps are such huge projects. I get anxious even reading about them. Good on you for sticking with it.
Yes, that was his 83 and then the Corona that it replaced (that he also still has). Said he had those stripes made for him by a friend with a sign making business. Great guy, gorgeous cars.

The swaps can be much easier, but I'm never one that's left well enough alone. There are several shortcuts I could have made, but a combination of wanting to use as many stock components/easily attainable as possible instead of custom work and wanting to do upgrades makes it a greater task.

A custom or aftermarket intake manifold would make clearance easier, but they're unnecessarily expensive. Could have also been easy to just get a carb conversion manifold and not deal with EFI. Speaking of EFI, an external pump would be easier, but I like a proper in tank setup. Stock exhaust manifold would have been easier, but the one I had was cracked all the way through with no interest in fixing it. Cutting a hole in the hood for clearance would have been less complicated than sourcing longer bolts and making spacers, but I wanted a stock look.
All the rest, brakes, suspension, are just extras on top that extend the effort and could be done later, but I like to try to get everything done at once. Ends up with the car off the road for longer, but effectively "done" when it's back on the road.

The upgrade everything feasible mantra is a bit of a theme in my projects, also have a 300ZX project in progress with a 2JZ swap, 6-speed manual, fully heim joint race suspension, big brakes at all four corners, etc. etc.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

Work continued this weekend

Pulled the engine and trans back out, fixed a mistake, and put it back in. When we put the engine and trans in a few weeks back it was an impromptu "I'm bored, let's work on a car" task while hanging out with the guys. Doing so ended up skipping a step, putting the throwout bearing on the trans, so had to redo that work to correct the mistake.

Installed the Isuzu ATP Y-487 clutch line, had to remove the giant rubber donut thing from the firewall side as it wouldn't fit between the brake booster and the strut tower where you have to feed the clutch line and it wouldn't fit in the hole in the firewall anyway. Kept the plastic washer that holds the adjustment nut to block off the firewall hole. Ran the line from the trans along the length of the block, made a 180 at the front, ran it underneath the fuse box, into the stock clutch cable clip, and into the cabin. Have to cut off the clevis, but keep the square portion to replace the washer that's on the stock cable. I'll make a bracket to hold the cable to the block to keep it away from the exhaust manifold and move the big rubber isolators around to keep the cable from rubbing against something as I finish the bay.
Overall, I think the cable could be another 6-8" shorter and still clear the manifold fine, but would probably want to keep it this long if running a turbo. If I used the Y-488 that Keegan used on the wagon, the cable would have probably gone through the radiator support before looping back. The shorter Honda cables (Y-319 & 318) with the barrel on the end would work well, the 318 especially so as it doesn't have the threaded adjuster segment that makes getting it into the hole in the firewall a bit of a pain (just takes the right angle and some vigorous wiggling) and has a wider section to block off the hole. Might need to sand down the sides of the barrel a bit to make it the same width as the stock washer as it looks a bit too wide and I wouldn't want to stress the plastic holder on the clutch pedal too much, but I did not run it through the firewall and onto the pedal to check for sure though. Will probably want to cut off the rubber boot on the pedal side of the Honda cables though.
The Y-487 cable wants to sit where the oil filter is, but it can sit on top just fine, the long metal collar on the Isuzu cables prevents it from going underneath the oil filter, but the Honda cables would probably work to go underneath the filter. The bracket I make will hold the cable above it, so no worries there. Assuming I leave well enough alone and don't remove all this to try the Honda cable anyway. I went ahead and ordered a NOS Y-318 cable to have on hand/haunt me until I test fit it too. May have to figure out how to get it not interfere with the alternator when I get to that point, 4AGE have it on the passenger side, 7AFE have it on the driver side (when the engines are in this longitudinal format), haven't decided which I'll run yet. Passenger might be easier, but it'll get crowded over there with the filter setup I'm probably going to run with the FWD intake manifold. Driver side might interfere with the clutch cable, but also allow shorter alternator cables to the battery.

Also installed an AW11 MR2 brake booster and master cylinder, the latter has a larger bore than stock as I wanted something to push a bit more fluid for the bigger front brakes I'm putting on. Requires some gentle persuasion of the brake hardlines as the stock MC has the ports on the side and top while the AW11 has them both on the side. The bolt holes on the three way union bracket that attaches to the stock MC are spaced a bit too wide for the AW11 MC, so you have to open them up a bit to reuse it, again not a huge deal.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by AugustusFerdinand on Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

On the subject of brakes: Anyone ever take one of these distribution blocks below apart? I have a specific question if any of you have as the FSM doesn't even mention this block at all.

AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

The Honda Y-319 cable has better routing than the Isuzu Y-487 cable, but requires some heavier modifications to work well. Specifically the maximum distance from the firewall stop to the barrel is too short to reach the clutch pedal, so you'd have to cut out a few inches of the sleeve to move the stop back for it to work. Photo attached shows the stock cable on the right, the Y-487 on the left, and the Y-319 in the middle all at max reach. Will likely just stick with the Y-487 cable as the added length isn't hurting anything.

Image Image
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Fantastic work sir! I’ve never been into a combination brake valve. However, I added stock Tercel calipers (front) to the rear of my car and have 4 wheel disc brakes now. I did not change the combination valve and it drives well. It may pissibly lick the back brakes a little early in very icy, slick conditions. Other than that, it drives great.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

NWMO wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:21 pm Fantastic work sir! I’ve never been into a combination brake valve. However, I added stock Tercel calipers (front) to the rear of my car and have 4 wheel disc brakes now. I did not change the combination valve and it drives well. It may pissibly lick the back brakes a little early in very icy, slick conditions. Other than that, it drives great.

Chris
Got a post on the 4 wheel disc conversion?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Not yet,

I’m a shade tree mechanic, so I try things that make sense to me. I just added a 1/2” steel plate to mount front calipers on the rear. Calipers swap sides to keep the bleeders on top and hoses are added. I’m still driving with zip ties holding the brake lines/hoses in place. I had to remove 1/8” or so all around the outside of the rear axle ?lug hub? and front rotors slide right on.

I look forward to sharing pics and a Autocad and/or PDF file of the added mounting plate. I fabbed the plates with a little cut-off saw and grinder, so they are by no means pretty, but with just over 4,000 miles in the first two months, I’ve been tickled with them.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

NWMO wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:44 pm Not yet,

I’m a shade tree mechanic, so I try things that make sense to me. I just added a 1/2” steel plate to mount front calipers on the rear. Calipers swap sides to keep the bleeders on top and hoses are added. I’m still driving with zip ties holding the brake lines/hoses in place. I had to remove 1/8” or so all around the outside of the rear axle ?lug hub? and front rotors slide right on.

I look forward to sharing pics and a Autocad and/or PDF file of the added mounting plate. I fabbed the plates with a little cut-off saw and grinder, so they are by no means pretty, but with just over 4,000 miles in the first two months, I’ve been tickled with them.

Chris
Looking forward to it, keep me posted!