Fuel Pump Failure

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SoCal
My tercel:: 1985 4WD

Re: Fuel Pump Failure

Post by SoCal »

I bought this engine at the local pick n pull and it came out of a 1982 model. My Tercel is 1985 and I ordered a 1985 fuel pump. I think for the 1983 year the 3ac was revised with new larger connecting rod bearings (i ordered 1985 and they didnt fit) and possibly a new designed fuel pump with different measurements. I looked on the Autozone site and the fuel pump for a 1985 does NOT fit a 1982. I thought all 3ac motors were the same, theyre not. Hopefully when I get it all my problems will be solved.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

Hmmm. I've used a fuel pump from an '83 (2nd gen) on an '81 (1st gen) and it worked fine. It's still installed today a year or two later.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

I have 1985 pump on the 1982 motor and the pump arm doesn't look like it hits the cam correctly, there is a lot of play and it wouldn’t pump the gas after a few miles. I checked on Autozone and it does seem to have different pumps for the 1st and 2nd gen so I ordered a new pump on eBay and Ill post the differences if any :)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

Rockauto shows different part #s too for the 1st and 2nd gens. From the pictures, it looks like the difference is the orientation of the fuel pipe.
1st gen:
1981.jpg
2nd gen:
1984.jpg
1st gen:
1981 (2).jpg
2nd gen:
1984 (2).jpg
I wonder if different spacers could account for the gap between the arm and the cam?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

I think the spacer is the same, it keeps heat from the head from heating up the pump. I bent the tang on the 85 pump and it seems to be making better contact. I put it in a vice and straightened it a bit. Re installed it and turned motor to where the pump tang is at the top. There was still more throw in the pump, I pulled it up and it had 3/4” more till it hit the top. We’ll see, thanks for the images 👍
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

What’s up with fuel pumps? Mine just went bad today. Luckily after making trip to town it died in my driveway. Also lucky that I had a spare in the shop. Car runs now but does often at idle and that is after turning idle adj screw in. A year ago I ran out of gas because fuel gage malfunctioned and after adding gas it ran like crap so had to swap carb. Probably will be swapping again
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

I think the older motors (pre oct 1983) have a bit of different geometry inside. Perhaps thats why the fuel pump for a 1982 motor is different than a 1984 motor. Maybe the older pump is different inside and has no bottom play like the newer design does (3/4” up before engaging the diaphram). Ill get my new “older” pump this week, we’ll see.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

I received the new Carter fuel pump; the early 3ac motor (pre oct 1983) fuel pump is different. The early pump tang engages the pump from the bottom of the throw, there is no play. The later pump (after Oct 1983) engages the pumping action about 3/4 inches up. I installed the early pump on my 1982 motor and it is finally running just perfect. This motor is finally dialed in :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Top is new M16157 made in Korea. Middle has about 1000 miles on it and quit working SP1123MP not sure who made it. Bottom is made in USA and made it to about 68,000 miles.
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Post by drafting3d »

My pump is leaking and I am here to check if its rebuildable or should I just replace it?
I have a 1984 (early) version. (medium-spec SR5 without A/C and steel rims instead of alloys etc)
I will be installing another engine in the future and was hoping the new fuel pump will be fine to feed a 4AC weber & cammed.
FriendOfEvanW
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel DX Wagon 2WD

Post by FriendOfEvanW »

drafting3d wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 pm My pump is leaking and I am here to check if its rebuildable or should I just replace it?
I have a 1984 (early) version. (medium-spec SR5 without A/C and steel rims instead of alloys etc)
I will be installing another engine in the future and was hoping the new fuel pump will be fine to feed a 4AC weber & cammed.

I don’t think they’re rebuildable, but they only cost around $30-$40 and take 10-15 minutes to swap out.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the same fuel pump is used on the 4ac and 3ac with the carburetor, so buy a new pump and you can swap it over. try to buy a Japenese made replacement fuel pump ( or made in USA, if you can find one). most of them come from china and are not very reliable, sometimes you do not have much choice.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Guess what? Another fuel pump failure. Less than 6000 miles on it.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Picture of latest fail. M60415
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what is the brand? where was in made.

supposedly NAPA gold parts have a lifetime warranty. you might see if they sell a replacement fuel pump for the tercel.

otherwise you may have to go to an electric fuel pump. or scour the wrecking yards for 35 year old factory Tercel fuel pumps.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)