5AF Swap Pics

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

When you said my avatar was vulgar, that was your opinion. But here's somethin' that might cheer you up:
<span style='font-family:Courier'>
<span style='color:orange'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY!</span></span></span>

Check this pimpin' Tercel 4WD:

<a href='http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2124506' target='_blank'>http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2124506</a> :( :rolleyes: B) :D :(
K-Business
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Sorry I haven't checked this in a while. You are correct the carb is the f version. My dad grabbed that one and it caused a few problems but we figured it out and the only way to mount it was facing that direction. Also I have read people having problems stalling out going up hill but not down maybe this will change that I would rather stal going down than up.

I have absolutely no idea how much power it is making because I am not spending the money on dynoing it. It is significantly more than stock. I imagine it will go up more when I have the carb jetted correctly. I don't think it is tuned up perfectly. The butterfly valve in the intake makes it a bit tricky to get exactly what you want.

The tranny is bone stock with a stock replacement clutch (I don't want to grenade anything). The clutch isn't sliping at all though. I haven't done any real off roading since the transplant. Still debugging some stuff. All i did to the tranny is change the fluid and put a new bushing in the shifter(much needed).

The header is very tight. It has very little clearance by the stearing, because we were trying to keep as much distance from the starter as possible. I also ended up making a heat sheild for the starter and I may end up wrapping the header.

About the avatars I have noticed that they are getting a bit edgy for me and it is part of the reason I have slowed down on posting here. Just my 2 cents. I would like to see them monitored more closely. And if worse comes to worse they are not exactly necisary.

I am more than willing to answer any and all questions to the best of my abilty I may not get back for a couple days or so so don't be offended.

jared
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

terceldude.. No need to apologize a thousand times. Your fast avatar change was apology enough man. On a side note- we are not judging what you like, other than to say we don't quite share the same views and would like to not have to see it.
The little English kid.. Is he English? I for one think he doesn't know what that means. For another, if he is English, if I am not mistaken, that is not QUITE the same, though is understood. Heck, if we were in Germany and I did that, it'd take people a sec to be offended.

I think the thing at major issue is multiple peoples offense versus a handful.

Heres my personal opinion- I saw his avatar, thought "Thats wacky" and moved on to the message. I made a mental note not to pay attention to his avatars. That was hard. (Dripping sarcasm on that last sentence)

Now that this topic has been thoroughly pirated, I want to know what your future plans for the Terc are.
Remind me why you went carb?
Overall cool
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

FH Bible wrote: The header is very tight. It has very little clearance by the stearing, because we were trying to keep as much distance from the starter as possible. I also ended up making a heat sheild for the starter and I may end up wrapping the header.

About the avatars I have noticed that they are getting a bit edgy for me and it is part of the reason I have slowed down on posting here. Just my 2 cents. I would like to see them monitored more closely. And if worse comes to worse they are not exactly necisary.
Is the header stainless? Plain steel headers don't last very long with wrap on them. I'd probably make a stainless heat shield for the header.

You can turn off avatars in the "My Controls" link on the top of the page. I did it a long time ago because I have a very slow internet connection.
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

that is the sickest thing ive seen today. your gonna freakin fly now. just think of the torque you will have in the granny gear. btw love the radiator hose oh heck i love the whole thing. great job!
x
oh i hope my avatar doesnt offend...
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

Thanks for the heads up on turning off avatars.
I think the header is stainless. I don't know, good point I will probably make a sheild if I see it causing problems.
I went carb because this motor comes carbed. I didn't want to add any more complexity to the swap.
In the near future I will get the carb set up properly and get a decent set of tires on there.
In the not so near future (when I can find a place to do some work on it, appartments suck) I plan on a 2.5-3" lift and a set of 15's with good off road tires.
In the distant future when this motor tanks or a clutch is needed, I will thow a 7a bottom end on it. This would probably be messing with the upper limits of torque handling ability for the tranny, so I will keep to the stock fly and clutch.
Goatlad

Post by Goatlad »

quick suggestion for your hood scoop dillemma:

see if you cant find a hood scoop off of an 80s model 300z. I have one i think and i would probably sell it if youre interested.

this is how it would have looked mounted on my rabbit

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

The reason you're stalling uphill and not down is that the float bowl is the wrong way around.

When you go uphill, the fuel in the bowl flows to the back of the bowl, away from the jets and power valve.

If you've got the room, then I'd swing the carb 180 degrees. If not, then I'd obtain the mirror version, which is a DGEV and mount that. Then you'd not have those problems...
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"