ISO Forester Forum/Group

Post here about...well...anything!
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

ISO Forester Forum/Group

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Does anyone, in this group, know of such a similar group for Forester owners. I wish that I had know about this group years ago, so I could have maintained my Tercel 4WD better.

I am mostly looking for a Forester group to help me learn how to better maintain my 2010 Forester, since I know very little about them and/or automatic transmissions.

I do not do any off-roading (yes, :( I know) but, after watching several YouTube videos about them, it would be nice to have a supportive group, like this one, to help me learn and figure out "things" Forester.

Reading in the owner's manual that Forester owners should take their Forester to Subaru Service to change light bulbs and spark plugs was unsettling, to say the least. :roll:

Thanks, in advance.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: ISO Forester Forum/Group

Post by Petros »

when I buy a car I that is new to me I just google the name car "Subaru Forester forum" and see what I get. there are often ones sponsored by the car company, which are not as useful since there will be a moderator always warning you to bring it into a dealers. on a real forum they will tell stories of how the dealer tried to rip them off.

no matter how complex or modern the car, I have found forums that will have very cleaver people with short cut repairs, or even "dealer forbidden" repairs, or not authorized by the manufacturer. for example, we owned Honda CRV and I used a Honda forum to get maintenance info. one common problem with the CRV (that Honda should have known would be an issue), the control panel on the drivers door that controls the locks and windows was prone to going dead because the wire bundle connector would eventually break off the contacts. This will not allow you a way out of the car (you can not unlock it, nor open the windows once inside). one angry CRV owner posted he drove to a dealership, and sitting outside the dealership honking his horn until someone came over and opened the door for him. Anyway, the dealer approved fix was to replace the whole car wire bundle, which means taking the whole car apart and unthreading all of the wire bundle from each component and the car frame, and installing a new one (because of one connector with broken wire contacts!), a $5000 job. one cleaver handy man on the CRV forum showed how to remove the front fender to get to the wire connector, slip out the broken contacts and install new contacts on the wire ends (he even provided a part number and link to where you can buy the exact same contacts the factory uses for 19 cents each). the whole repair takes about an hour and a half. I would have filled the connector with ATV to reduce the vibration and leverage on the wire bundle that caused the contacts to break off in the first place. anyway, I had a similar experience with the notorious auto locks on my wife's lexus, the dealer wants to replace the whole door lock assembly, with labor to take apart the door it cost about $300 per door (this is a common problem with the Camry as well). but someone on the Lexus owners forum showed how to take apart the plastic door lock assembly and replace just the motor in the plastic gear box, that you can buy for $4.95.

Those are the kind of forums you are looking for, for the Subaru there should be plenty to choose from, find the one with the most members that is not tied to the dealer network or Subaru USA. good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:10 pm when I buy a car I that is new to me I just google the name car "Subaru Forester forum" .... good luck.
Thank you, Petros, those are excellent guidelines to follow. Maybe I should just sell the Forester and have you fix up a Tercel for me :wink:
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

The Professor wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:42 am www.subaruforester.org
Excellent, also, thank you.
~