85, 100k abandoned in emigrant montana.

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Thewhitewhale
My tercel:: 84 6SPd 4wd sr5

85, 100k abandoned in emigrant montana.

Post by Thewhitewhale »

Driving through Montana I found an 85, partially stripped with front end damage, the front suspension, tires and cv's missing, propped up on stumps in a highway pull off 2 miles or so south of the sinclair gas station in emigrant Montana. The car has some writing on the windows , keys are left with it, I don't know the legality of the situation but I would imagine the town is waiting for a salvage yard to brick it. Seems like a low milage trans and engine block if anyone wants to figure that out, I very much doubt anyone would miss it.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 85, 100k abandoned in emigrant montana.

Post by Mattel »

Always good to leave a note on a car like that if anyone is going past soon!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Call your local police department. Explain how you found the car sitting at X location and see what they say. If they're aware the township is said to dispose of it, they'll probably just let you take it since it'll save them the tow truck payment. You'll likely never be able to get a title and it may be a single dollar transaction and some documentation saying they waive all rights to said property (have had friends do similar things in the past but with barns and sheds. Often times with cars or farm equipment in them!)
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have gotten abandon cars registered. depends on the state, but I think most have some kind of process. in WA I was required to send a registered letter to the last know owner, have it inspected by the state patrol for safety and verify it was not reported stolen, and I would get a provisional title meaning that the previous owner has three years to make a claim on the vehicle, after three years I get full title. I have also gotten full title by having the local sheriff inspect it, verify the vin number and they run it for missing or stolen vehicle reports, if clear they declare it abandon, and I get a title for it. they would rather have someone claim an abandon vehicle rather than impound it and have it stored in their impound yard, if not one claims it gets auctioned, usually goes for scrap metal price. they typically lose money on having to have it towed and impounded.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)