Is this worth rebuilding?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Starmarst
My tercel:: 82 coup, 85 wagon both fwd

Is this worth rebuilding?

Post by Starmarst »

Hello y'all. When i bought project blue, i couldn't get it to quite start. So i swapped in my webber and put the carb on the back burner. Now I've decided to take a closer eye to my carb, it upon looking i found a few clips missing. One was unhinged, and my gas pump had a cracked boot.
20200823_200138.jpg
20200823_200253_HDR.jpg
So i figured id go ahead and take it apart to see if there was any obvious funny business. My vacuum lines were all good, some were slightly cracked so i replaced them. I checked all my diaphragms and they all held compression. I decided to open her up to notice a new gasket and a (relatively) clean interior.
20200823_194600.jpg
20200823_193701.jpg
20200823_193708.jpg
I mean my fuel bowl is a bit dirty and my barrels were a little black but nothing bad. I assume most of my barrel blackness was likely due to the intake gasket being backwards (see project blue). But otherwise in good condition. Im gonna clean out what little gunk it has and maybe look for anything improperly installed. But i see no reason to do a full rebuild. I have a kit but i had a spare boot for the gas pump.

So heres my question(s):

Is this worth rebuilding? Or is it perfect to clean up and reassemble and rebuild later?

Is there any highly sensitive spots i should double check?

And is there a good list of adjustments to make for when i reinstall this? I dont have good enough internet to really watch the vids and i did do a good look.

Anyways, what do you all think?

Thank you

"Madd" Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Is this worth rebuilding?

Post by dlb »

Did the car start running fine as soon as you put the Weber on? If so, that does point to something being up with the stock carb, although I agree it looks good as is. Have you tested the electrical components like the fuel cutoff solenoid, and pretty much everything else that has wires running to it?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I have rebuilt with kits quite a few stock carbs. I have also just taken them apart and cleaned them. These carbs are strange. I put a carb in one care and it runs like crap. I put the same carb in another car and it runs fine. So i usually have three or four carbs on hand . If a carb fails on two cars i clean it again or rebuid kit it.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Starmarst
My tercel:: 82 coup, 85 wagon both fwd

Post by Starmarst »

Whats a good way to test my solenoids? Can I just plug them in and ground them and flip the key?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

If you go here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8103

and download the factory service manual, it details how to test each component on the carb and in the emission system. IIRC, if you apply 12v to the fuel cutoff solenoids you should hear them 'click' open or closed, but don't quote me on that. It's been a long time since I rebuilt one of these.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Starmast,

The solenoids are off/on, so all you need is a voltmeter. Even a test light would likely suffice, FSM lays it out pretty well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have just opened the carbs and clean them out, without even removing them from the intake manifold in the car. clean out should be all it needs. see the section on the factory service manual to check and adjust all of the linkage on the carb when you reassemble it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Solenoid test: should click when juice is applied.
I have worked on two cars that had good solenoid s but for some reason while engine was running the juice was cut off intermittently. I suspect a bad wire. I wired solenoid direct to battery and engine ran fine.
Rather than messing with the bad wire i found another place to hook up the solenoid so it would have continuous juice when ignition key is in run position..
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.