Pulling engine

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Pulling engine

Post by Petros »

xirdneh wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:18 pm Noise going away when clutch pedal is down has always been inner input bearing in my experience s.
I have found a bad pilot bearing the noice will go away when you lift the pedal and allow the clutch to engage. the only time the pilot bearing is spinning is when the clutch is diengaged (clutch peddle down). the pilot bearing should be checked while you are at it, that is the one in the back of the crank, the tip of the input shaft engages it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks fellas,

My pilot bearing needs and will get replaced as well. I assume the intermediate plate pushes away from the differential, staying with the transmission? Does the intermediate plate have to separate from the transmission to install the inner bearing?

I tried multiple shops without luck before calling the bearing locator. They found oodles of the RNU070614, so I got a couple.

Somewhat intimidated by the trans split, is there anything besides a gasket there?

TIA,

Chris

I see the intermediate plate comes off the transmission so the new bearing can be installed. FSM MT-36.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can polish that surface with 2000 grit wet and dry sand paper. It takes the larger imperfections out, but will not remove material nor fix deeper pits, but will make it very smooth.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Well,

It looks like I’m in business, now to drop the tranny and swap in new bearings. Only one is needed, I got a second one to put on the shelf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Are you planning to take the tranny all apart or try to get bearing in by separating front plate a bit? I would take the whole thing apart and see if anything else is bad.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Ok All,

I’m getting ready to drop the trans after lunch, but I’m thinking it may not be the inner input bearing after all. Plug under the trans drained first, then finished under the differential. Shiney/chunky!! Hopefully I will find the issue after lunch, but what are your guesses?? The chunk looks like a piece of a gear tooth to me.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Well,

No guesses, but here is what I found.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

The free pieces may have got inbetween some gears and damaged them
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.