1987 DLX in Spokane

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
mikeservations
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel DLX Wagon

1987 DLX in Spokane

Post by mikeservations »

Our growing family means I'm sadly parting ways with my beloved 1987 Toyota Tercel DLX wagon. I bought this vehicle in June 2018 in Cheney, WA, and from what the prior owner told me (and the Carfax shows), the car has been in Montana and Eastern Washington its whole life. I've used it primarily as a commuter car, although it's also performed great on longer drives, including to and from Hamilton, MT, last fall. It hasn't been driven much since March with working from home, and with my son's car seat difficult to safely install and no place to put a second car seat, it's time for someone else to enjoy.

The car runs great with no known issues, and if I had the extra garage space to keep an extra vehicle with collector plates, I wouldn't be selling it, but my loss can be your gain. If you're interested, please PM me. Feel free to suggest what would be a reasonable price.

Details:
- 146,919 miles as of Sunday, July 19 (although I'm still driving it periodically for errands)
- Need to add a little coolant usually just once during the winter months, but nothing more, so head gaskets seem in good shape
- Some rust around wheels, edge of doors, and undercarriage
- Back hatch door dented and some smaller dents and scratches, including one longer scratch along the right side of the car
- Some discoloration of the upholstery but generally in great condition
- Dash around front left speaker is cracked but held on by one of the mounting screws, could be glued back together but it didn't bother me so I left it
- Knob on the hand brake is missing and the front mounting screw of the attached center console doesn't stay seated, but neither has been an issue for me
- Currently running 185/65R14 General AltiMAX RT43 all season tires (purchased and mounted in March 2019) on alloy rims from a Toyota Camry; 175/70R13 Falken Eurowinter HS443 winter tires (which came with the car when I bought it but have lots of tread left) mounted on original steel rims also included
- Rear hatch cover, which I pulled from the junkyard, is included, although it's a little beat up and missing one of the hinge pins

Repairs/maintenance (I've kept all records/receipts):
- Muffler replaced in June 2018 at Martin's Auto in Spokane
- Rear wheel cylinders and shoes replaced and rear drums resurfaced in June 2018 at Martin's Auto in Spokane
- Alternator water pump and power steering belts replaced in June 2018 at Martin's Auto in Spokane
- Right front CV axle replaced in June 2018 at Martin's Auto in Spokane
- Front and back speakers (Rockford Fosgate Prime R14X2) self-replaced in June 2018 (although the back speakers sound like they're going again)
- Front rotors replaced July 2018 at Preedy's in Spokane
- Fuel filter (Hastings GF124) self-replaced November 2018
- KYB GR-2 / Excel-G struts and shocks replaced in March 2019 at Martin's Auto in Spokane
- Rear hatch support struts (junkyard pull) self-replaced in June 2019
- JVC KD-X260BT stereo self-installed in August 2019 (replacing Kenwood stereo that failed), which includes Bluetooth and a wired microphone that's clipped above the rear view mirror
- NGK G-Power spark plugs self-replaced in April 2020
- Air filter (Denso 1433026) last self-replaced in April 2020
- Oil last self-changed in April 2020 (been using Delo 400 15w40 in the summer and AmazonBasics Conventional 10w40 in the winter)

Extra parts:
- Two SR5 instrument clusters, one with the dash cover as well
- SR5 inclinometer
- Extra FWD/4WD shifter knob

IMG_4989.JPEG
IMG_4990.JPEG
IMG_4994.JPEG
IMG_4997.JPEG
IMG_5002.JPEG
IMG_5008.JPEG
IMG_5026.JPEG
IMG_5028.JPEG
IMG_5029.JPEG
IMG_5032.JPEG
IMG_5035.JPEG
IMG_5036.JPEG
IMG_5037.JPEG
IMG_5038.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG
Last edited by mikeservations on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeservations

Re: 1987 DLX in Spokane

Post by mikeservations »

A few more photos

IMG_5046.JPEG
IMG_5053.JPEG
IMG_5055.JPEG
IMG_5056.JPEG
IMG_5061.JPEG
IMG_5065.JPEG
IMG_5066.JPEG
IMG_5067.JPEG
IMG_5069.JPEG
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I might be interested, can you PM me with a good price?

my regular daily driver needs a major overhaul, and I really hate driving the civic I have now. I will need to get a 4x4 before fall, or get my engine rebuilt, but I do not have any time for another project right now. this looks perfect.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Petros - glad to hear you're interested; I sent you a PM.

More generally, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on pricing. I see wide variety in prices in the Cars for Sale section over the last six months or so, ranging from about $600 for a rig that needs immediate work to be drivable up to $5k+ for a fully restored wagon. Mileage, rust, and repairs/improvements all matter, but what does that translate to for prices on actually completed sales (which is really determined by what people are willing to pay)? I'm finding I want more for my car than is probably realistic, largely influenced by my reluctance to part ways with it, so I'd definitely appreciate everyone's perspective here.
muddybumper
My tercel:: 1987 SR5

Post by muddybumper »

Is it sold yet?
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Nope, it's still available.
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Car is still available, and I've listed it on Craigslist for $2,200 with the exclusion of the extra wheels with winter tires and inclinometer, which muddybumper has spoken for. Feel free to send a PM or use the Craigslist ad if anyone is interested.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/sp ... 18046.html
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Sold today via Facebook Marketplace.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hey Mike thanks for being part of the forum and sorry we couldn't get a sale through here. Be sure to tell the new buyer about us! Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms