Keep "popping" strut mount / strut tops when offroading, need heavy duty strut top recommendation

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Press2
My tercel:: 86' Tercel 4WD AUS

Keep "popping" strut mount / strut tops when offroading, need heavy duty strut top recommendation

Post by Press2 »

G'day guys,

The Tercel's been getting a work out in the sand and offroad recently and I keep popping the strut top / strut rubber mounts.

Any recommendation of a heavy duty set to use instead? I'm in Australia if that helps!

Here's some pics from the recent trips.
20200711_150359 (1).jpg
20200711_150434.jpg
20200608_160300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
slow car 86' Toyota Tercel 4WD
fast car MK6 Golf R
always on jack stands car E36 325i Drift Build
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Keep "popping" strut mount / strut tops when offroading, need heavy duty strut top recommendation

Post by dlb »

Your springs are probably the main source of the problem, they are probably tired and sagging so I would replace them with the springs for cars with A/C, and the strut insert as well while you're at it.

Some people here have done front and rear lifts with different springs. I did it with Camry springs up front and didn't like the results, I wound up with some CV axle clunking that I couldn't figure out so now I prefer to stick with stock springs and struts and just mess around with larger wheels/tires. It looks like you're already running about the biggest tires you can.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Keep "popping" strut mount / strut tops when offroading, need heavy duty strut top recommendation

Post by splatterdog »

Are your rebound bumpers good, or even there?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

after inspecting and work on perhaps 70 or 80 old Tercel4wd, I have only seen a failed upper mount once. it was from a high desert area. sounds like it might be bottoming out and doing damage.

the first generation MR2 (mark I) has a similar upper front strut mount, if you can find a performance after market upper strut mount for the early MR2 it might hold up better.

Nothing else is a direct bolt in replacement. however, you can likely make a camry or corrola one work with some mods to the strut tower.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Press2
My tercel:: 86' Tercel 4WD AUS

Post by Press2 »

Cheers for the replies fellas

1. Springs being the problem: probably we don't have access to the components of the barto and other lifts in aus. A local suspension company Lovells make some raised springs might have to give them a go

2. Rebound bumpers? Any good? Probably haven't been replaced for the 20+ years this car has been on the roads

3. @Petros im not the nicest to the suspension in the car, almost certain it happened at about 70ks an hour with a bit of air on all 4 wheels 🤮 ill have to do some research on the mk1 mr2 uppers cheers for the hint.
slow car 86' Toyota Tercel 4WD
fast car MK6 Golf R
always on jack stands car E36 325i Drift Build
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Considering age and driving style they could be hammered into bits. Very essential part, they are the last line of defense for bottoming. Might not help in your case! Make sure they are good though. New boot/bumper kits are the cheapest part of the strut assy. I would also recommend new strut cartridges if they are also 20+ years old. Might as well do springs while your at it..
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Bump stops probably won't help much if the strut mounts are really being torn up. Longer travel suspension to allow those bumps to be fully absorbed in the dampers is the real answer.
In any case, I used a pair of FX16 strut mounts on my AW11 because the bolt pattern was super close and they were significantly less expensive than actual AW11 mounts, should fit the Tercel as well.