4WD fuel pickup line?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
dirklc
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

4WD fuel pickup line?

Post by dirklc »

Hello,

I need to replace the fuel pickup line on top of the fuel tank (so the three metal lines going into the tank).

This part is still available for FWD Tercels. I ordered this part and it's a drop-in replacement for our T4WD tank but the pick-up line doesn't reach close to the bottom of the 4WD tank (I believe the FWD and 4WD have different tank capacities).

Does anyone know if the 4WD fuel pickup line is still available? If not, then I wonder if I could modify the FWD part...maybe add a length of fuel hose with a mesh end, similar to what you might see on a boat fuel tank?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Best,
Dirk
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: 4WD fuel pickup line?

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I need a source for one too. I tried modifying a 2wd one and it works, but comes into contact with my float so the gauge won't read below 1/2 tank. Frustrating.
dirklc
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by dirklc »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:33 am I need a source for one too. I tried modifying a 2wd one and it works, but comes into contact with my float so the gauge won't read below 1/2 tank. Frustrating.
Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about as well. I will play around with it a bit this weekend and will let you know if I come up with a fix. If I just use rubber fuel hose and a mesh end then I think I could route it away from the fuel level sender...
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

When it comes time, I am just going to take mine to a shop and have it fixed / modified. My '82 tercel will not idle if its below half a tank, leading me to believe theres a hole or crack in the pickup tube. I am going to have mine modified since I will be dropping a 4agte into it, and EFI systems need 3/8" line at a minimum.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the FWD model the tank is under the rear seat, completely different shaped tank. the pickup from many totoytas should fit, they are all very similar.

I wonder if the same year carberated corolla fuel pick up will fit, the tank is very similar in location and size and shape as the tercel4wd. I have one from a fuel injected corolla and was going to see if I can get it into my project 4age swap Tercel so I can have the high pressure EFI fuel pump inside the tank. looks like it will all fit fine, I have not tried it though. the tanks look almost identical.

OTHO, can you bend the pick up lower in the tank? anyway you can get it down to near the bottom the better. it is a low suction line, so there is no special requirements. only that the fuel pump can suck fuel up it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Can you post a picture of the two pick ups side by side?

I believe the tubes are silver soldered (different process than soldering) to the cover. You could fabricate a new tube using the old one as a template and solder it onto the new pick up.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I did try bending my 2wd pickup, and it is feasible to make it work. The real issue is that all the tubes are clocked differently on the 4wd tank, which means you have to put a twist in the lines (prone to snapping). Apparently I didn't do that well enough, because my float contacts the fuel pickup. Also my tank is a pain to fill so I think I messed up the vent too :(
Alexucf

Post by Alexucf »

Where did you buy the fwd pick up. My car is running out of gas at half tank. I think this might be the issue , how can I confirm this ?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can gain access to it from the metal plate in the floor of the cargo area under the carpet. there are like 6 Philips screws to get the hatch off, that exposes the top of the fuel tank. you can usually inspect the length of flex line on top of the tank, but if it is bad you have to drop the tank to replace it. you can remove the round tank cover (also 6 Philips screws, blow them off and use penetrating oil) that contains the fuel pick up and the sender, remove it and you can wiggle out the pick up and the sender and carefully inspect it for corrosion that may cause the leaks.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)