The IceHawk!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: The IceHawk!

Post by splatterdog »

dlb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm Maybe swap in a diesel 2C-T engine like CathodeRayTube had been working on a while back? I feel like a diesel would be better suited to handle the added demand of the tracks.

You know, just in case you're looking for a crazy project to dedicate a few months and buckets of money to, lol.
Haha! Quite a bit beyond what I have time/motivation for. Part of my affection for these cars is how little they normally need work. Fixing the rust alone would have been considered heroic measures and I still have more I could do. Spending a month of spare time had to make way for fishing, especially since the ice was finally ready when the car just reached usable status. Really, really surprised I didn't detach a rear control arm last winter. You guys out west sure are spoiled when it comes to rust.

When I need tracks I still have two snowmobiles and a custom built 4x7 sleigh.

Petros- I did have a lengthy max rpm EL battle last winter with the snow tires. A previously plowed road on the lake had been drifted shut, but I didn't know that until there was no stopping or turning back. I bounced and twisted my way through feet of snow that was knocking my feet off the pedals a bit due to the snow trying to push through holes in the drivers floor. Even after over 25 years of T4'ing I still get amazed at what it goes through and how many vehicles it walks away from, since I went with snows that's all of them.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Well, I just added a softwater rating. Without a passenger seat a 10 foot kayak(9ft 8in) fits inside with an inch to spare. It's a cheap sit in yak so I would be afraid of crushing it with how hard I would strap it down to the roof. Less wind resistance this way also.

Surprisingly the fish smell from ice season dissipated a while ago without shampooing.

Sorry for the sideways preview.
20200611_185809.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Very nice Splatterdog!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

splatterdog wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:22 pm 45 seconds to fishing.
That is just too wild, man! Awesome, practical, and fun all at the same time. What an incredibly creative idea and it looks quite cozy, too.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Great video Splatterdog. Love your creativity!

I would like to get an ice auger that will run on a cordless drill. I have a Dewalt 18v 1/2" drill, nothing fancy but not brushless. I was told you need brushless regardless but would like to know why. I've read about various reasons why but would like your opinion. Also which augers would work? Not wanting to break the bank.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

marlinh wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm Great video Splatterdog. Love your creativity!

I would like to get an ice auger that will run on a cordless drill. I have a Dewalt 18v 1/2" drill, nothing fancy but not brushless. I was told you need brushless regardless but would like to know why. I've read about various reasons why but would like your opinion. Also which augers would work? Not wanting to break the bank.
The brushless have a lot more torque and are just better all the way around. If your ice gets over 2 feet thick you will most likely not get away with the old drill. At 2 feet even my M18 fuel gets pretty hot after 5-10 consecutive holes. I went with the 8 inch(7.5 actual) K-drill as that was all there was at the time, and I was in need of a new drill. Lots of great choices now. Some guys are using old gas or hand auger screws with a drill adapter.

So, on the auger side you can get by on the cheap. Your drill, I'm not so sure. If you tend to pick a spot and stick with it you might be ok. I'm highly mobile and can punch a lot of holes while I'm out, even though I usually use only the front hole in the car. If I don't catch a fish in 15 minutes I'm moving. Don't even see one on electronics and I move even quicker.

The best thing about a dedicated auger screw meant for a drill is weight. My whole setup is under 10lbs. Homebrew will be 100% steel. Lighter than an old Jiffy though!

Finally, if you have to reopen holes, combine multiple holes to make a huge one, or deal with dirty ice the ripper blades plus a point like on a K-drill are a must. Shaver blades dull easily. Some sand gets blown on the ice or a cars slushy mess spills off and you find it, drilling slows down considerably. Even heard of permanent shack owners sanding the area around their house to discourage neighbors.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

ALiveSR5 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:01 pm
splatterdog wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:22 pm 45 seconds to fishing.
That is just too wild, man! Awesome, practical, and fun all at the same time. What an incredibly creative idea and it looks quite cozy, too.
Thanks!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Thanks Splatterdog. That's more information than I had before. I don't move around much when I'm fishing so wouldn't be drilling many holes and the ice doesn't get very thick where I am. If I burn out my old drill I will upgrade, but it would be fun to get out there. Also, would only use a 6" drill.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140862/cabelas-eze-drill

Just found this one on Cabela's web site. Any comments?

Just realized it's an 8".
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

marlinh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 pm https://www.cabelas.ca/product/140862/cabelas-eze-drill

Just found this one on Cabela's web site. Any comments?

Just realized it's an 8".
No experience with that one, or any others for that matter. Couple negative reviews though. Have also heard many complaints about Cabela's in general since BPS bought them.