Clutch issues?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Clutch issues?

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I’m getting some growling noises that seem throw out bearing or clutch related. I lean towards clutch as it seemed to “stutter” some when it made the noise. I rebuilt the engine a year ago and had to replace a broken valve spring a few months ago, so exhaust, etc. comes off pretty easy. So I can pull the engine or I have heard I can just drop the tranny as well, pros and cons?

Chris

PS - I might try to get Terc2 on the road first, will have to see.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Clutch issues?

Post by NWMO »

Alright,

Crawled under and checked front gear oil, trickled out when I removed the bolt. Laid under the car with engine running, definitely some clutch issues, SO I will pull the engine and get her fixed. I may use this as an excuse to attempt to get Terc2 roadworthy first, will have to see. On the bright side, I have a company truck I can drive in the meantime, but it burns more fuel.

Chris

PS - Definitely easier to pull the engine, as removal of the entire front differential would be necessary to get to the rear of the engine.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

clutch chatter can be caused by oil contamination. so check the seals, valve cover gasket, for leaks while you are in there.

you ca drive it with chatter, but eventually it will fatigue the parts and the clutch will fall apart leaving you stuck. It will have to get changed sooner or later, but you do not have to rush to get it done right away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

your ? as to pull engine vs pull tranny.
you do not have to spend as much time under the car if you do engine method
that being said I prefer pulling tranny. if you remove input shaft it is easier to drop the Diff/Tranny assy
also easier to reinstall the works if input is installed after tranny/diff is re-installed
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thank you Robert, I’ve never tried that method, will have to sometime.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain