Great evening

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Great evening

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Still have plenty to do on the Rusty Frog 🐸, but traveled 250 miles this evening to pick up a honey bee NUC. It was a beautiful Midwest evening for a drive through the country. I should be projecting on both Tercs here before long, just need to finish the water pump on my tractor first.

I got a little fishing in earlier, I’m not very good with the Hula Popper, only caught one, but not a bad one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Great evening

Post by dlb »

Nice evening sky pics. What's a "honey bee NUC"?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks David,

A honey bee NUC is a "nucleus" colony purchased to start a new hive. It should include 5 full frames of bees, significant brood (bees preparing to "hatch") and a good, verified, laying queen. It is a better way to start bees in the spring as you get a proven queen and a jump start. This is a first for me, so I look forward to installing them this evening, maybe I will try to get pics, but I usually work with gloves. Installation simply means moving the 5 full frames w/bees in to a typical 10-frame hive body so they continue to grow the colony and hopefully produce surplus honey this year.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Nice photos Chris. Our apartment building has hives on the roof and my friends in Tokyo are also involved with urban beekeeping. Have you heard of these hives from Australia? https://www.honeyflow.com.au/?utm_expid ... gle.com%2F they aren't cheap but allow the honey just to flow out of the hive.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Mattel,

I've seen similar units advertised, but not in person. As nice as the advertising pics are, I don't understand how you would keep the bees out of the spigot and honey while you were trying to harvest. For honey removal of significant amounts (like trying to empty honey supers during harvest) a centrifugal spinner is utilized to get most of the honey out. Most of these advertised style work by shifting the foundation or "base" the bees build on which breaks the wax capping and allows the honey to flow out. I'm sure I will come across one someday. Personally, I prefer a morning or day of spinning out 500#-1,000# of honey among multiple beeks and enjoying the comraderie.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

our idiot governor banned fishing, as if we can get infected from fishing. if you posted that in our state the state authorities would be hunting you down to issue you a $5000 fine for violating an executive order. along with telling almost all small businesses they have to close down.

I hope the voters here see fit to fire our current governor, but I doubt that will happen.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Well, I was blessed to be born in the Midwest and while traveling have enjoyed many beautiful states and areas. We will likely get to the Black Hills this summer and are looking forward to it. We really like the St. Joseph/Benton Harbor area of Michigan, but as long as they are led by the current governor, we won’t be moving there. I am looking forward to my first trip to the PNW when it fits in and hope to visit many of the Tercel brethern. Only time will tell what the future holds, but I’m a firm believer in civil liberties, freedom of religion and the right to bear arms (though I don’t currently own/carry a handgun).

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

No fishing in my state of Victoria (surfing is allowed if the beach is in your zip code) or being outside unless you are shopping or exercising or caring for someone. We have had very harsh regulations however our state premier is currently on 80% of the population having agreement with his methods. We are heading into winter though (well.. Australian winter) haven't really been outside of my district for 8 weeks. have downloaded a government app that tracks if you have been in contact for a certain amount of time with others that might be infected. I can give up some personal freedom for the common good right now. I'm not judging you my friends from the USA I know things are historically wired a little different over there. I'd just hate it if we were allowed semi automatics here (your NRA have been trying to infiltrate our politics for a while).
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Mattel wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 amI know things are historically wired a little different over there...
Man, if you only knew... :roll:
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited