Carburetor vac lines and fuel cut solenoid video

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Carburetor vac lines and fuel cut solenoid video

Post by xirdneh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe7TUj7wSzg

my take on carb, vacuum lines and fuel cut solenoid
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Re: Carburetor vac lines and fuel cut solenoid video

Post by Erikwi »

mines different and i cant find a diagram
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Erikwi wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:17 pm mines different and i cant find a diagram
Nothing on the underside of the hood? That's where the emissions stickers usually are.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it does not look that different, should be the same as th '87 in the video. there may be a few components different for the auto trans, and if you have an AC or not. Mostly it should match.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Erikwi
Top Notch Member

Post by Erikwi »

well on my car im pointing at a 88031-16020, at least it looks identical.
and im not sure how its plumbed or what does it do. is it part of the ac?
i cant figure out the vacuum diagram and how this is adjusted. its not mentioned at all in the service manual.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/HiAAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Sorry, are you saying your car has the emissions sticker on the hood but you don't understand it? It should be pretty straightforward, just make sure all the hoses are correctly routed. If you're unsure where one hose ends up, unplug both ends, blow into one of them, and feel to confirm air is coming out the other end.

I'm not sure what that device is for. I don't remember seeing one on any of my T4's.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Erikwi,

Based on the part #, you are asking about the "Actuator Set - Idle Up". That is a little different than my 85', I'm not as familiar with my 83' yet. Either way, the vacuum is pulled from tee marked 87690B and plumbed through a solenoid that is either "open" or "closed". Presumably, it is open when the car is initially started and cold enough for it to be needed. It should be pulling temp from a sensor (don't know where), that closes (takes power away) the solenoid valve once warmed up and high idle is not needed.

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota__/631 ... -8717.html

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

on some of the cars equipped with an A/C, there is a vac operated device that only is engaged when the a/c is on. it speeds up the idle to prevent it from stalling when at idle. I have seen it twice, one was on a auto trans with a/c. I removed it since it was troublesome, and I just adjusted the idle a bit higher w/o ac, and so it idled okay, without stalling, when the a/c was on. I thought the FSM shows it as an option, or in an inset.

if an a/c was removed from your car, than you can remove it, if that is what it is.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:51 pm on some of the cars equipped with an A/C, there is a vac operated device that only is engaged when the a/c is on. it speeds up the idle to prevent it from stalling when at idle. I have seen it twice, one was on a auto trans with a/c. I removed it since it was troublesome, and I just adjusted the idle a bit higher w/o ac, and so it idled okay, without stalling, when the a/c was on. I thought the FSM shows it as an option, or in an inset.

if an a/c was removed from your car, than you can remove it, if that is what it is.
I thought that too at first, I've seen one of those A/C idle up devices before too but I don't think this is it. The A/C idle up is located at the front right corner of the carb, and sticks out on its own a bit. It's easy to access. It looks like the thing Erikwi is talking about is located more to the rear right of the carb, and tucked between the carb and the manifold. Looks like a pain to access.

Oh I just read what NWMO posted. Maybe it is the A/C idle up after all, or maybe some kind of auxiliary cold start idle up? Very curious. Boy, all this talk just makes me grateful for how simple the Canadian manual trans emissions stuff was on these cars.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member

Post by Erikwi »

anyway i cant find a diagram for my car at all, and i did need one. i took the carb off and things got mixed up
yes mine has ac
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Erik,

This won't be perfect for your car, but should get enough of the lines headed in the right direction to help. This link takes you to the 85' FSM provided as a PDF. Please continue to ask questions and we will do what we can.

85' FSM

The Emissions Control (EC) and fuel (FU) portions of the manual should be helpful.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Erikwi
Top Notch Member

Post by Erikwi »

dlb wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 am Sorry, are you saying your car has the emissions sticker on the hood but you don't understand it? It should be pretty straightforward, just make sure all the hoses are correctly routed. If you're unsure where one hose ends up, unplug both ends, blow into one of them, and feel to confirm air is coming out the other end.

I'm not sure what that device is for. I don't remember seeing one on any of my T4's.
the emissions sticker is white, the actual ink is long gone.