Timing settings for 87 TERC

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
solarlord
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Swiss model

Timing settings for 87 TERC

Post by solarlord »

Hello to all- my terc started life in Switzerland and the timing was set for mountain living (switzerland is all mountains) ok then it went to live in Spain and the timing appears to have been altered to suit -but i think its been set wrong beacause if drive over 2000ft the engine starts to miss -what would be the best setting for sea level and occaisional drive in the mountains .Spain is a bit like Utah or Arrizona weather and terain wise thanks Folks
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Timing settings for 87 TERC

Post by Petros »

I do not think it would change enough to cause it cut out, but anything is possible. but typically with less O2 at high altitude I would guess you would want more advance, and less advance at low altitudes. the best setting however is about 10 deg BTDC, rather than the factory recommended 5 deg (that what it is in the States for emissions purposes). if the spark advance is as much as 20 deg, it will still run, but may ping and knock particularly at sea level elevations when it is warm.

you want to run the most advance you can WITHOUT getting ping or knock in the engine on acceleration. so you can experiment with it by setting it and test driving it, and than adjust it again if necessary, back it off until you get no ping.

usually missing is caused by bad wires or bad spark plugs. if those are old you might replace those as well and see if the problem abates. Other causes could be a shorting coil, or a bad igniter, but those are less common.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

Petros - its more of a stall- kind of a jab or jolt as the car goes higher in the mountains increasing the higher the car gets-like its gasping for breath -then as i decend its less the lower - any further thoughts - i am going to change the distributor cap and ht leads -yours DEREK
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

My 87 terc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Nice looking Tercel.

you describ a car either running too lean, or one that does not have adaquate spark advance. Search for a vacuum leak in the vac lines, check the vac lines are routed properly (you will need a service manual for your model, or see if the one on the underside of the hood is still ledgible). If you find no vac leaks, test each of the vac operated componets, if failed they could act like a vac leak, the vacuum advance on the carb if bad will act like a vac leak for example. Than check the spark timing, best is about 10 to 12 deg BTDC. also, check that the mechanical advance it working, either by removing the distr. cap and twisting the rotor so it advances against the light spring pressure, and than returns when released. Or check the timing, and vac advance by using a timing light, with the vacuum advance disconnected and capped off, and see if the spark timing advances by watching the timing mark with a timing light, it should advance with increasing RPMs.

good luck.
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

PETROS- that sounds very spot on ,i am sure it must be a vac leak because a number of the tubes etc are showing signs of age and deteriorating because the climate in Spain rots anything rubber, change the tyres every 3 years-i will set spark timing and check the advance as well -i think i will clean the carb too - i hope you are well and safe ,here we are on lock down ,no work schools shut all borders closed ,so i wont be in Spain till the fall -stay safe DEREK
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hey Derek. Do you know of any parts cars in UK by any chance? looking for rust free panels (probably pushing my luck there) for a fellow over near swansea that has recently bought one
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Thanks Solar lord, my wife and I are perfectly safe, we live in a rural area on acreage and I work in a small town, where exposure is very low to non-existent.

the Governor of our state ordered a "shelter at home" decree yesterday for all non-essential workers, that can be punished with a fine. I was surprised to learn I am considered essential, so I can go about my business anyway. I am self employed and work alone in my own office anyway, so I have very low exposure as it is. Now I do not have any of that pesky traffic to deal with on the roadways, and oddly my phone stopped ringing so much, even the dozen or so robocalls and telemarketers stopped calling this week. so I am actually more productive this week than normal.

This order is idiotic, unnecessarily draconian, it will put a lot of small businesses into bankruptcy. the infection rate in our state is supposedly one of the worst in the country, at 0.03 percent of the population (per the current report). This seems to me a way over reaction. All of known cases are in a few areas around Puget Sound/Seattle (half were unfortunately in one elderly care facility where it spread before they even knew it was a problem, all had compromised immune systems.) I can understand quarantine for areas with outbreaks, and to shelter and protect those who are vulnerable. But wrecking the economy of the whole state, and put up to one third of the work force into bankrupts is more deadly and costly than the threat. Most of the state had NO cases at all. Political overreach. there is nothing quite as destructive as an irresponsible and incompetent government.

Hopefully it will all be over soon, most epidemics only last about 30 to 45 days, and we are already well into this one. And the numbers are still quite small.
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

P. this is good news , we live in Suburbs of a small city in midlands and its not too bad here ,but we are on lock down ,everything is closed .the worst affected places seem to be the capitals ,London,New york Marid Paris they look the most vunerable by the way people live like sardines- we have country side all around so we can get plenty of good air -i will keep in touch cheers and best wishes to you and your family DEREK
solarlord
Top Notch Member

Post by solarlord »

Mattel- hi hope this finds you well and safe- the answer to your inquiry
abt spares in the UK is sort of simple ,they dont exit because in 80/90s
most used Toyotas /Nissans were exported to third world and ex colony
countries like Ghana ,Nigeria ,Kenya and west Africa in particular ,that is
because the import duty in those countries was low on used goods .Also that
the japanese cars and trucks were easy to fix and run, having a good
reputation for reliability - if you go the say Ghana you can find whole
areas in the cities where there are streets full of any part of a toyota
etc secondhand ,you just ask one of the boys that hang around the places
and he wil be back in 15mins with what ever you ask for while you sit at a
cafe and have a beer- there are plenty of containsgoing back to Europe and
states to put your haul on .All of the cars you remeber from the 70s/80s
are all still running there !!!-hope this helps DEREK
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZKPZUipHYThanks Derek yeah I've heard a bit about this and also many other european countries got rid of their Tercels that way - which I reckon is a pretty cool way for a Tercel to go rather than a scrapheap in the midlands or something. I have been chatting to this gent called Ian who is a minor web celeb called Hubnut who has just bought one and thought I could help find him some new wings and a few other parts. Here's his video he's near Swansea I think.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms