1987 Tercel 4wd Wagon in Seattle

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
tfd
My tercel:: 1987 T4WD

1987 Tercel 4wd Wagon in Seattle

Post by tfd »

It has come time for me to move on my 4wd Terc. I've lurked here for years noting the subculture.
I've had this car 20 years, so I am at least the second owner, having bought it from a dealership at 99,000 miles. It now has 203,000 miles, with just a few hundred in the last few years. I wrecked it once, had it straightened by a talented body shop ten years ago and it drives well. That's where the spare fender came from in the picture, as I had bought a parts car to repair this one.Having kept up the maintenance everything works. When I take it for a spin, it tells me Let's Go Places!
But it's tired. In the pictures you can see the rust and faded paint. The tires are timed out. One picture shows all the spare parts, which come with car if you buy the whole thing; otherwise I would let them go separately. I recently repaired the gas tank with epoxy putty to fill pinhole leaks. It blows blue smoke on cold startup for 1-2 minutes; otherwise it consumes somewhere around 1500 miles/quart. I measured the compression today and got 185-190 psi across all cylinders, which makes me doubt my tester. It does not drive like it has full power, merely adequate.
Because of corona virus I'm not actively selling it right now. Having read the term "collectors item" I wonder if it's worth more than I think. Let me know what you think. At some point I'll attach a price unless someone makes me an acceptable offer.
P3243432.JPG
Attachments
P3123424.JPG
P3123426.JPG
P3123428.JPG
P3123429.JPG
P3123430.JPG
P3243431.JPG
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 1987 Tercel 4wd Wagon in Seattle

Post by dlb »

Doesn't look too bad. Why are the headlights angled out like that though?
tfd
My tercel:: 1987 T4WD

Post by tfd »

Ah yes, the headlights. Mine had rusted out reflectors so I had to do something. I couldn't find any good direct replacements. So I installed these headlights from a later model, making some brackets so they would bolt in and be adjustable. They work pretty well, not great, much better than before. So it's something of a hack job.
That red square tube on the front sticking up from the bumper was used as a way to carry full lengths of pipe and other long things by holding a vertical strut that popped into it. Any 1.5" square tube will fit.
Only one picture shows the rook rack that comes with it as well, as it won't fit any new cars. :arrow:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have a set of headlines like that, I think from about "92 tercel. I have not tried it, but I figured I could make them work. they are still sitting on the self in my garage. they have a bit more shape to them than the stock ones (that are difficult to find). I thought they would look more "modern" if I could get them to fit under the hood line.

that is a really nice looking Tercel, if it is mechanically sound, it should sell well in the seattle area.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)