Middle fork shift shaft doesnt move.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Middle fork shift shaft doesnt move.

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 DX Wagon.

I have disassembled the gear box.

After disassemble the housing, middle fork shift shaft which connects the 3rd and 4th gears, doesnt move.

I have already removed the springs and balls. I did observed for any obstruction at the moving holes by the cuts. But there inst such. Middle fork shift shaft head isnt interfered by the other 2 shafts heads. Other 2 shafts can be moved even 5 inches (when gear rack is removed).

Is there an internal locking mechanism (hidden inside the interconnection) that locks middle one when others move?

Or what could be the reason?.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Middle fork shift shaft doesnt move.

Post by teranfirbt »

There's a stack of pins and balls in the main bearing plate where the shift shafts are housed, you likely have one of the pins still holding the shaft in place. There is a plug on the bottom of the bearing plate that let's you drop a of those pins out. Be very careful to not lose anything. Do you have a copy of the service manual? It has the details for reassembling those pins and springs.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Problem is that it moves few milimeters. That is not enough for even to move the fork. Those gears were working before I disassemble it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

hopeufly forum member Xirdneh will share his extensive knowlage about this subject. there is an interlock that is supposed to prevent the gear selector forks from moving at the same time. sometimes that gets misplaced and will lock the gear selector in place. As I recall you have to remove an outside plug on the trans case and than can reach in and push it back into place. sounds like that may be the problem with yours.

I have had it happen to me on two different Tercel transmissions, one I had rebuilt and once it was apart they could not find anything wrong with it. so they put it back together. costly lesson.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

I have finely observed the movements.

I kept the 1st and 3rd shafts in neutral position and tried to move the middle one. Then it can be moved. My guess and the Mr. petros advice were correct.

There is a interconnection in between the shafts that is hidden in between the shafts. My guess was due to there is a empty hole to the 1st shaft in the connecting body. Through this hole only the shaft can be seen. But this hole is deep and bears pins inbetween the shafts. This was the only difficult one I lapsed lot of time to resolve during disassembly.

Sorry for raising this question without finely observe the content.

Thanks for all the advices.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

be careful what you wish for. if you do manage to move the fork it may move too far and the detents inside the hub will pop up and it will be difficult to get them back in place.
look at the three shift shafts
there is a set of three notches on each shaft
they are aft of the first/second gear fork
those sets of three notches must be lined up vertically before you can move a shift fork
thats because the interlock pins inside the front aluminum plate (with the bearings) control when you can move a fork
i show how those pins work in one of my tranny videos
not sure which one cause i have not messed with them for a long time
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.