Huge engine oil leak over the transmission

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Huge engine oil leak over the transmission

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon with a 3A engine.

My car had a sudden huge engine oil leak. Whole sump(oil pan) become empty within 5 minutes. Engine oil poured over the transmission. Whole spreading was below the transmission. Not had any drop below the engine.

Also leaking was happening only when engine is running.

Since oil pan became empty within few minutes I couldnt even trace the leaking point.

I suspected this could be due to the rear main oil seal.

But I removed the starter motor and observed inside the bell housing of the transmission. Fly wheel and the clutch pates all were dry. cannot see oil inside.

Since engine oil is expensive, It is useless to trace the leak by adding engine oil again and trace.

Engine was rebuilt recently .

Where could be the possible leaking point?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Huge engine oil leak over the transmission

Post by xirdneh »

I have never had a leaky rear main Oil seal. But the new gasket for the rear main Oil seal plate failed once not long after engine rebuild. It leaked out over top of differential housing and oil did not get on clutch/flywheel. The seal was disintegrating. I replaced it with a much superior one from local Toyota dealer.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Dumindu,

Based on your description, it would seem the leak is associated with the pressure side of the lubrication system. The oil pump mounts over and is driven by the crank snout. The first seal is between the back of the pump housing and the engine block. From there it is pumped up to the “main” galley. There is a threaded plug on the front and rear of the engine at either end of the galley. Based on the bell housing appearing “dry”, I would suspect the front galley plug. If loose/leaking/fallen out, the oil would pour out the front of the engine, but not be seen until the bottom of the plastic shields on the front of the motor. I would certainly start by pulling the front sheilds to investigate.

I believe the only other outlet for the main galley is the “pressure” port that your oil pressure sending unit screws into, I am assuming that would be very apparent.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is a pic of the front/oil pump. The plug I’m referencing can be seen right below the belt tensioner spring.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if it was spreading oil OVER the transmission it might just be the "half moon" rubber plug at the back of the head under the valve cover gasket. if these get displaced lots of oil pours out over the back of the engine. That is an easy check, and fix. use sealant on it to hold it in place like glue.

Rear seals are generally reliable, and even if leaky would very rarely dump that much oil. though once on a honda I did not install the rear seal deep enough and the back of the flywheel was rubbing on it and ripped out all the rubber part of the seal right away. That left a very large oil puddle very quickly. But it drained straight out without gettting oil on any other parts of the engine or trans.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Post by Dumindu »

What a knowledge you have Mr. Petros !

Certainly it was the case. I observed the plug at the rear aspect of the head and it was missing. Possible I had some works with transmission bolts and wrench could have pushed it.

Thank you Mr. Petros.

Thank you all for your valuable advises since all suggested that the rear oil seal couldnt be the cause. If I disassembled the transmission that would be money wasting.