The IceHawk!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

The IceHawk!

Post by splatterdog »

Got something real stinky going on in my one man hillbilly skunkworks. That's all I have to say about it for now.
Last edited by splatterdog on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Coming soon- The IceHawk

Post by Mattel »

I heart this. please show
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Very excited to see what you have brewing.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Almost half done, which is when I will reveal. Pretty happy with how it's turning out. Some will roll eyes, or worse. But, those who have seen it think it's awesome. Extremely likely this will be a T4 first.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: The IceHawk!

Post by splatterdog »

Well here is the half finished project. Drivers side is next. This really started out as a save the car operation due to rear axle lower arm concerns. Figured I would follow through on previous threats to put ice fishing holes in it while strengthening the underside. Took the easy way out on a trap door system with readily available fish house hole covers/sleeves and framed it in with 14 gauge rectangle tubing. I had to lose a seat mount pedestal so it's a 3 seater from here on out. The floor duct is in the perfect spot to help keep the hole from freezing up.

I came up with the name for a couple reasons. One was a play on this- https://snobearusa.net/. The other should be obvious to most of us here, if not, look up tercel.

The right hole is far enough forward to hunt from the drivers seat. If I want to get a little less twisted and add a hole I get out, move the drivers seat forward, get in the back. I have a K-drill auger that should be able to punch holes from inside the car. https://kdrillauger.com/. If it's not too cold and the holes don't freeze up rapidly I can get out, punch a bunch of holes and "hole hop" without leaving the car! Mobility is often what's needed for successful ice fishing. My only fear is getting interrupted by curious ice fishermen, this will get looks beyond an old little car going where trucks only dare.
20191204_204020.jpg
20191206_202719.jpg
20191206_202752.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by splatterdog on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Lol, this is not at all what I had imagined you were up to but it's perfect. Good on ya.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Looks great Splatterdog!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is kind of cool.

you should consider rigging up a quick release seat mount, so you an use the car the rest of the year. you clearly have welding skills.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Well that was a lot of work! Not so much making holes, but taking them away. After really picking at scabs I found that the drivers floorboard was nearly completely comprised of sound deadener and the frame channel. Now it has some serious overkill with a 304 stainless floor!

Ice this winter started great then got 2 feet of snow and warm temps. Lakes are a mess. Much of my usual water has 4 inches of ice on top of 4 water, 8-10 good ice underneath. Some areas still have 8 inches of slush that requires a snowmobile at no less than 50mph. This is actually an improvement. This happened farther north last weekend from the storm that only gave my area rain and will give an idea how much fun water and slush are. People were stranded miles from shore for days, not that they weren't warned. It was one of the only drivable lakes in the state, so it was real busy. There's still trucks and wheel houses frozen in past the axleshttps://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/commun ... ss-on-red/

Anyway, I found a small patch of good ice after much scouting/drilling on the sled the day before. Perfect timing, primary work is all done, only need to do interior optimizing. Only extra that's done is the auger holster. Even found a hanging bucket that stands perfectly slanted for the sharp end. Drilled my holes while inside the car! The 45mph gusts were hardly noticed, probably why I shared the spot with only a couple permanent houses. Most lakes are portable's with sled/wheeler/foot travel. Portables can end up in tree tops on the other side of the lake during high winds especially without a car or truck for a windbock. Talking to one of the perm owners put me at ease as he had just pulled his house out with a half ton truck and both had been plowing/packing the area.

6 crappies, 1 sunny, a small northern, several throwbacks. So glad the car didn't get skunked on the first trip!
20200103_191848.jpg
20200105_160209.jpg
20200105_162319.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Congrats on the successful maiden voyage of the IceHawk. That's got to feel good.

I love/hate the pics of the truck and trailer stuck in the slush. What a nightmare. If I had any doubts whatsoever about the ice, you can bet your balls I wouldn't be hauling a dang travel trailer out on it. Jeez louise.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

dlb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:51 pm Lol, this is not at all what I had imagined you were up to but it's perfect. Good on ya.
Forgot to ask, what kind of crazy contraption had you envisioned?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Tank tracks.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Tracks would be awesome and there should be bolt on units that already exist. Seen a fair share of vids of those mini trucks from Japan that aren't street legal with tracks on. Some of those have 4x100 bolt patterns and I think some side by side UTV's do as well. Would probably take some fabrication still, they need stops to prevent rolling over. The big thing would be, is there enough power?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

here some tracks on a Subaru, should not take much to make it work on the Tercel. a bigger engine would be useful, but you can crawl around in EL with the engine near red line and perhaps move a bit faster than walking.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Maybe swap in a diesel 2C-T engine like CathodeRayTube had been working on a while back? I feel like a diesel would be better suited to handle the added demand of the tracks.

You know, just in case you're looking for a crazy project to dedicate a few months and buckets of money to, lol.