180f kuzeh thermostat

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gotama
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 4X4 toyota tercel SW automatic

180f kuzeh thermostat

Post by gotama »

So I bought one of these thermostats and it worked great until last night when it started to get too hot.. It was about 65f outside and almost out of the normal range.. more than 3/4 towards the red zone.. I'm in Mexico for the winter and I need to alter this thermostat somehow for the rest of the season.. got any suggestions?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: 180f kuzeh thermostat

Post by xirdneh »

Drill a hole in it. Or try running without it. If you still run hot at least you know it's not the thermostat
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

It was running too cold befor with other thermostats that I've tried. I have a new rad, water pump and hoses etc..1/16" hole maybe?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

make sure you got all of the air trapped in your system. a small hole in the t-stat is helpful for that. filling the radiator/cooling system with the car on a hill with radiator at the high side also helps. or simple fill, drive it until warm, allow to cool and check the coolant level again, top up until it stays topped up. some times it takes several days. look for any sealant or other blockage in the thermostat housing.

make sure the lower hose does not collapse when you rev the engine (watch it as you rev the engine by hand), it should be stiff enough so it does not get sucked close and close off.

You can also take the t-stat out and check in hot water, with the thermometer in the water to observe at what temp it starts to open at. simple test.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

I have burped enough big cooling systems on diesels before and everything i mentioned that was done almost two months ago so..the thermostat had a little dumbbell like thing in a hole on the perimeter of the thermostat.. I think I will just snip it off and then enlarge the hole a little bit.. the place I bought the thermostat from says it's got a 12 month warranty
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

Btw plugged the AAP valve today and cars running super smooth!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that is called a giggler valve, if you alter it the warranty might be void, even if it has nothing to do with the fact it does not open far enough.

test it by suspending it in a pan of water on your stove (I use a chop stick and hang with a twister seal), put a thermometer in the water and watch it as it heats up. it should start to open right at the rating, and than slowly open further as the water continues to heat up. should be fully open at about 200 deg. sometimes they only open part way.
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

Thank you Petros.. just a sidebar like I mentioned I plugged the AAP valve and it is running much cooler on this 80° f day.. there was a lot of gas in the vacuum lines.. I think that may have been the issue
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

your fuel economy should improve considerably as well.

not sure why that would make it run hot however. either way, that needs to be dealt with anyway. if it no longer overheats, so much the better. keep an eye on that temperature gauge or you could end up having to replace the head gasket.
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

Yep my last bill was $10 less cuz I had that much more fuel thanks to # 6 tip in your q&a..so i drilled 2 - 5/64" holes in the thermostat and snipped off the jigger valve and the temperature is just above quarter way on the dash gauge and don't have to run the fan anymore!.. it's perfect!..
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Gotama,

Great to hear, I will say, these cars typically run right at half. In cold environments, the roughly 180 degrees is nice for heat. On zero degree days (rare here), I’m running the heat/defrost full blast for warmth.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain