Car dies when warm

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
LumpyKoalaBear
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon DLX.

Car dies when warm

Post by LumpyKoalaBear »

I have an '83 Terc. I recently rebuilt the carb and reinstalled it, but I'm having a similar issue I was having beforehand. The car cold-starts pretty well and will idle strongly if it's not messed with (throttle-wise). I've even been able to drive it about 1 or 2 miles, also. However, once it gets warm it bogs down and dies, acting as if it's not getting fuel. I took a short video detailing what's up with it here: https://youtu.be/pBeXGHxBteA . Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help.
'83 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX
'72 AMC Javelin SST
'93 Chevrolet Van G20
'79 Yamaha GT80
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Car dies when warm

Post by dlb »

See #6 in this FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
LumpyKoalaBear
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon DLX.

Post by LumpyKoalaBear »

dlb wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 pm See #6 in this FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
Thank you for directing me there! I am planning to check for leaks later today, but I'm not confident in my choke set-up.
'83 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX
'72 AMC Javelin SST
'93 Chevrolet Van G20
'79 Yamaha GT80
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

dlb,

I feel like I know the site pretty well, but sometimes the amount of valuable information provided by yourself and others is astounding!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

LumpyKoalaBear wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:16 pm
dlb wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:14 pm See #6 in this FAQ:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
Thank you for directing me there! I am planning to check for leaks later today, but I'm not confident in my choke set-up.
The choke settings are pretty straightforward. The fast idle should be set to 2000 rpm or so (it's been a long time since I've worked on one so you'll need to double check that spec) and the regular idle should be around 800-900.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

NWMO wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:51 pm dlb,

I feel like I know the site pretty well, but sometimes the amount of valuable information provided by yourself and others is astounding!

Chris
Thanks Chris. I certainly did used to spend a lot of time on here in the past. I'm glad I've reined it in though, more time for the mountains of other junk I've been working on. Which reminds me of another post I should update, actually.