rear hatch plastic trim color?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

rear hatch plastic trim color?

Post by cars-guy »

I'm about to finish up a restoration on a tercel and I can't find out what the correct color for the license plate/backup lamp trim piece. mine is a bit faded and it looks to be painted. on my last car i just painted it black and that looked fine but for this car id like it be the original color or close to it. anyone know what the original color is? best i can tell is its a medium-dark gray. maybe metallic as well? any help would be appreciated.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: rear hatch plastic trim color?

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

cars-guy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:40 pm I'm about to finish up a restoration on a tercel and I can't find out what the correct color for the license plate/backup lamp trim piece. mine is a bit faded and it looks to be painted. on my last car i just painted it black and that looked fine but for this car id like it be the original color or close to it. anyone know what the original color is? best i can tell is its a medium-dark gray. maybe metallic as well? any help would be appreciated.
It may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, but what I've done for my faded ATM is... black shoe polish. When you rub it on thin enough you retain the original colour (I would best describe it as charcoal) and get a really nice finish. Rain beads off of it very nicely and it looks no different than when I applied it about a year ago. Hope this helps.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

IDK...some of mine look black, some have a grey "trim ring" with the rest looking black-ish, and some are too faded to tell the damn difference. You could try to figure it out from looking at some vintage ads for the cars when they were new...or you could just ask Bryan Thompson.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

cars-guy,

I looked at some ads over lunch and I would suggest it is closer to black than gray, but it doesn't seem quite as dark as the rear bumper.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is a kind of charcoal grey, but perhaps not quite as dark. it is not black, but more of a dark grey.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)