Oh Boy! What a deal!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Oh Boy! What a deal!

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/JDM-GRILL-1982- ... :0&vxp=mtr

As cool as this would be to have, there's no way I could justify spending more on a grille than I did ON MY ENTIRE CAR.
Theartofthetercel
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Re: Oh Boy! What a deal!

Post by Theartofthetercel »

I saw this one too. So ridiculous! Yeah, as much as my car.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

I've seen these before too. There's a guy on the FB page that will trade a Euro spec grill for a US one. At least he said he would. Only cost would be shipping...which I think would be split on a trade. I personally like the early US grills the best with the big chunky 4WD...I've been thinking about switching my 87 to an earlier grill but I think I have to change the headlights too, which I don't want to do. I also found a guy in Greenland that will sell me a set of Euro bumpers pretty cheap but I can't find any way to get them to WA for less than I have tied up in both of my cars, lol.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

You WILL have to change the head light ass'ys (and electrical connectors) to swap grilles. (I've done it.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Would be kind of cool, but not for that price.
I do hope to one day pick up a RHD Tercel with a 5spd!

There's a company near me that said they would help me source one. I also may sign up and pay the hefty price and be able to bid on them online.
There was one that sold late August/early September on a Japanese Auction site for $1,200 USD. It was 4wd, manual and had working AC!
It looks super clean too!
FB_IMG_1575488181586.jpg
FB_IMG_1575488171393.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I wonder what special bits the JDM versions got that we didn't. Anything I should be scouring eBay for?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that supposed JDM Tercel4wd has the north American 5 mph big bumpers. I thought all the JDM and Euro Tercels had the trim and light smaller bumpers. something seems off, perhaps the owner wanted the better protection of the NA big bumpers for toyko traffic?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

The Japanese versions did have a mix of euro and US bumpers and headlights in a seemingly mix an match affair.
All sorts of options were available incuding seats that folded flat in the front and seats with speakers inside them! There was also digital dashes and of course there was a sedan version.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

That car is also a june 1986 model. the info says S61 which is 1986 (or Showa reign being 61 years since the emperor came to power) pretty late and still has Tercel sr5 seats and inclometer but supra headrests?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
MrWrench
Top Notch Member

Post by MrWrench »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 am I wonder what special bits the JDM versions got that we didn't. Anything I should be scouring eBay for?
Some versions had variable suspension height systems. (similar to my Celsior) they definitely had fancier interiors.
I don't know all of the various editions Japan got over ours, other than finding some for sale through auction sites.
This version was the AV2.

Coincidentally, a member on the Facebook page just posted some information about a Japanese version of these cars.
Here was one of his comments.

"The Answer is ....

that an electronically controlled absorber (TEMS) is installed.
The three switches on the side of the shift lever are for switching between soft / hard / auto.
At that time, TEMS was installed only in luxury cars, but it was a bit of a surprise that it was installed in the basic series AL series."
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

does that mean that somewhere there might be parts avaialble that can be bolted on to give it variable ride?

that would be cool. I have been contemplating a way to adapt a ride height adjustment into the tercel. the rear is no problem with air shocks, but the front will take a bit of messing around. I have a 12 v air compressor mazda used for their AWD minivan (same unit is used by Mercedes and I think Volvo, it is made in the USA). That way I can use it as a daily driver with it at stock height, with the lower CG, softer ride, and not over stressing the CV joints. But when I need to cross a creek or plow through some deep snow, I can raise it up only when I need the height. I might do this on my project T4wd with the 4age swap, that someday I will get completed!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
MrWrench
Top Notch Member

Post by MrWrench »

It's very possible! I would check out places like auctions.yahoo(dot)co.jp
Takeshi did say it was a rare option, but I would assume there's parts somewhere. Possibly even at partsouq dot com?

Edit: I searched partsouq and didn't see in any of the Sprinter Carib AL25 pages any sort of adjustable suspension components. Granted I didn't search deeply, just a quick search. But for the newer models, I did find a few things.
If you click on the AE95G-CWMDH which is 1990-1995 they had adjustable suspension components. It also shows the diagram. Might be useful to retrofit? I will try and search again later today.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

MrWrench wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:47 am If you click on the AE95G-CWMDH which is 1990-1995 they had adjustable suspension components. It also shows the diagram. Might be useful to retrofit? I will try and search again later today.
The stock adjustable ride height systems in AE95's were notoriously prone to failures so while I agree they're theoretically super sweet, I don't think one would be worth the effort of transplanting.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I love adjustable suspensions! It's only about 3k to do magnaride shocks/self leveling air compressor in a GM full size suv. Just like air springs, it's not if, but when..
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

The mag ride stuff performs amazingly well, but they don't last long. Probably has to do with the suspended iron filings and rubber seals not playing nicely.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited