Junk Automatic Transmission

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
TercelCars5
My tercel:: 82.83.84.84.84.85

Junk Automatic Transmission

Post by TercelCars5 »

I have a junk Automatic Transmission from a 1986 Tercel 4wd Wagon.

Was a DUI impound car that I bought for cheap for parts.

The transmission made NASTY noises and would barely move the car, but was not happy about it. Would not move vary far.

Is it worth selling the trans to someone? Anybody want it? I may scrap it.

There is a crack below the bell housing on top of the Differential area that had hot molten aluminum come out.

Not good for a rebuild I would guess, bu may be good for parts?

Should I scrap it? Stop me now if you could use something off of it, or the whole thing. I can ship too.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Junk Automatic Transmission

Post by Petros »

there may be some parts worth saving on it, not sure. there is a link between the auto trans and the front diff that can fail, these are sought after by those with auto trans Tercels.

forum member Xirdneh has rebuilt more Tercel trans than anyone on this forum, he might be able to use it for parts. He should know what is worth keeping or not.

where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TercelCars5
My tercel:: 82.83.84.84.84.85

Post by TercelCars5 »

Located in Provo Utah. Can ship with Fedex, or Greyhound bus, or to you local Fastenal store.

The link you are reffering to, is it internal in the trans?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

TercelCars5 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 pm The link you are reffering to, is it internal in the trans?
when you separate the front diff/bell housing assembly from the main trans gearbox/housing, there is an output shaft on the front the gear box that goes to the front diff input shaft. they are connected with a spline sleeve. for some reason in the auto trans they felt in necessary to have some sort of plastic buffer or shock absorbed built into the sleeve. this breaks down over time and the link fails. any good working one is worth saving.

The auto trans version of this car is less common, and because of the under powered engine, and far less popular on the used car market. So there is not a lot around anyway, but the few that are hold up remarkably well. early small auto trans were not known to be very durable. unfortunately this link between the gear box output shaft and teh front diff input shaft was a mistake, less than the rest of the car for durably.

of course, the cars were generally not considered to last more than about 200k miles, and 20 years old. My daily driver as about double that now.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)