What have you done to your wagon lately?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: What have you done to your wagon lately?

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I'm so glad to see this thread is still alive! I haven't been on here in a while due to my transmission going out! But I finally found one from a pull a part out of a 93k mile car that hadn't been registered since '93! I've already got my old one pulled and got new seals to put in the trans, so I've got to rig up some lighting to get her back on the road!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great to have you back, getting back on the road is great.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Rebalances driveshaft!
The old driveshaft was pretty banged up. The joints made a ton of noise and we definitely in need of being replaced.
As the car is my primary driver, I only had one option to remove it at my work. Thankfully the bosses were gone for the week 🤠

The rear portion of the driveshaft was off
.038 front
.030 middle
.028 end by rear diff.

I'm pretty sure it got damaged during a road trip when my friend accidentally ran something over.

She's straight as an arrow now and the "new" (Craigslist specialty) snow tires should help me dominate the snow!
One picture is of our universal joints next to a semi truck "1810" joint.

[img][/img]
[img][attachment=3]IMG_20191115_053520.jpg[/attachment][/img]
[attachment=1]IMG_20191118_165959.jpg[/attachment]
[img][/img][attachment=0]IMG_20191115_123100~2.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
trailerparkzero
My tercel:: 1983/85 halfbreed and a beastly 84

Post by trailerparkzero »

Finally got my 84 back on the road! When I bought it a year and a half ago it had a rebuilt 4AC, but within 5k miles it sounded like it had piston slap that was getting worse and worse. I did my first full tear down and took in the block and had it overbored .040", fully balanced, the flywheel lightened and had the pistons and rings installed with new crankshaft bearings. Then I replaced the intake/exhaust valves, put in double valve springs, and slapped it all together, also a first for me. I also put in MR2 booster and master, replaced the trans and rear diff with 4:10 final drive, put in new rear wheel bearings, new CVs and ball-joints. I just took it in for a smog test and unfortunately it failed NO at 15MPH, but it was well below average on everything other test so it should be an easy fix. Hopefully it's just the EGR vacuum modulator or something.
I'd say it's ready for another 280K but what I thought to be an top knotch trans has an issue. I can hear a bearing noise when I let the clutch out while the car is in neutral. The noise is a huge bummer as I just moved out of my house where I had a place to work on it. Also puts a damper on motivation to the future mods I was planning. I'll get a video of input shaft/piolet bearing or whatever is making the noise and see how bad y'all think it is.
https://imgur.com/SpYHeFd Smog results here
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

trailerparkzero wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 pmI'd say it's ready for another 280K but what I thought to be an top knotch trans has an issue. I can hear a bearing noise when I let the clutch out while the car is in neutral.
Bearing noise while the clutch pedal is out is from an input shaft bearing. Pilot bearings and throwout bearings spin when the clutch pedal is depressed.
trailerparkzero
My tercel:: 1983/85 halfbreed and a beastly 84

Post by trailerparkzero »

Thanks dlb! You just pulled a thorn from my side! That's not a big deal, I should be able to drop the rear mount and sneak in a new one.
Now I can go back to dreaming up a carb upgrade and focus on getting it to pass smog!