Timing pulley guide pin???

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Timing pulley guide pin???

Post by JDNightFox »

So my radiator went out

that was one of the things the previous owner said the shop replaced as well as the timing belt.

The problem is that this "shop" is also responsible for welding my crank pulley on, having the distributor timing off by a tooth, and hooking up the distributor vacuum lines wrong

So I don't trust this "new" timing belt so I ordered another one to replace along with my radiator

I pulled the timing cover off and sure enough my timing belt is off by a tooth. I unscrewed the idler pulley and it just fell off with little resistance, and then I noticed the guide pin for it is missing.

So my question is... where do I get another one? I'm assuming the pulley slowly slipped out of tension over time and it jumped a tooth. I do not want that happening again...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Timing pulley guide pin???

Post by Petros »

when you say "guide pin" do you mean the pin that the tension pulley pivots on the front of the block? a machine shop can make one, if you can find the correct size rod you can make one yourself as well.

that shop had no business working on a car they clearly was not familiar with. what a lot of crap, incompetent and likely charged their normal shop rate to experiment and trial and error on a customers car. what fecal brain thinks it is okay to weld the front pulley on to the crank?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm when you say "guide pin" do you mean the pin that the tension pulley pivots on the front of the block? a machine shop can make one, if you can find the correct size rod you can make one yourself as well.

that shop had no business working on a car they clearly was not familiar with. what a lot of crap, incompetent and likely charged their normal shop rate to experiment and trial and error on a customers car. what fecal brain thinks it is okay to weld the front pulley on to the crank?
Yes that pin it pivots on is exactly what I need

There's a whole story that goes along with that which can be summarized as "it's not my problem"

They welded the pulley onto the crank bolt because it wouldn't tighten down due to the flange being too worn. I fixed it with a member here sending me a good pulley

But yeah I guess I need to find a pin to make this work, but tomorrow is thanksgiving of course and now my car is taken apart
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

That pin is built into the oil pump, so there are a few ways to get one. If you have the front apart anyway an oil pump isn't too expensive or difficult. You could also pull a pump from an engine in the yard and collect the pin, any A series engine should have the correct pin in the pump. There are probably also enough people on here with engines laying around that could grab you a pin or a whole pump.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Is that pin replaceable? If so, how do you do it? I bent one on a car trying to get a seized crank gear off. My easy fix was to just wallow out the tensioner mount a bit. Seems to be fine once the tensioner bolt is torqued to spec.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)