VIN# on GTS corollas

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

VIN# on GTS corollas

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I'm using Row52.com to keep an eye out for a GTS rear end that would provide larger axles, disc brakes, etc. (Good luck, I know). Am I correct in understanding one way to find the desired units is to confirm a vin with AE88 in it?

TIA,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: VIN# on GTS corollas

Post by Petros »

those rear ends are highly sought after by the "drift" crowd, so they can trash them on a skid pad to entertain people that are not car enthusiasts.

If you are lucky you might get one with a LSD diff as well. I think they came with the 4.11 ring and pinion, so it would be compatible with the later front Tercel4wd transaxle. The mounts all look the same, but the bolt pattern for the rear wheels are different, but that can be fixed I think with some clever machining and new wheel studs. I think the drive shaft mount is a different size as well, which means you will have to take a tercel4wd drive shaft into a custom drive shaft building have them cut off the old one, and weld on the larger rear u-joint and flange.

Last time I found one of those on craig's list about 10 years ago, they wanted $750 for just the axle and LSD rear end.

there is a AE88 and a 4age forum you might go see if anyone there has a wrecked AE88 they are parting out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter,

It would likely be overkill for me, but I thought I would at least keep feelers out (part of a dream build). I looked at some reviews for the Phantom Grip LSD and there were some favorable reviews, particularly for cars with less hp etc. Might be an affordable solution for a DD that a person off roads a few times a year.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

NWMO wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:48 pm I looked at some reviews for the Phantom Grip LSD and there were some favorable reviews, particularly for cars with less hp etc. Might be an affordable solution for a DD that a person off roads a few times a year.
Seems a good low cost solution, not just for off roading, but for the several times a year you might have snow and icy roads, certainly an improvement over the stock open diff.

I do not understand the much bad mouthing of it, that it is not a "real" LSD. well, most smaller cars will not fit a "real" LSD for the smaller diff in those kinds of cars cars, and even if it did would cost 500 percent more, plus.

If you put one of those in, make sure you take pictures of it, and post them here. it would be interesting if you can find a good way to test the effect, before and after installation. perhaps on a nearby by grassy hill, or muddy roadway.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm Last time I found one of those on craig's list about 10 years ago, they wanted $750 for just the axle and LSD rear end.
They call this the "drift tax"

When I first found out about the AE86 models I thought to myself "sweet! a fun light rwd car that would be mechanically familiar to me coming from owning multiple tercels!"

Then I discovered that they are easily $5000 for a complete POS, and anything nice can hit 5 digits. Not to mention plenty of them get hacked up by people who like to think they know what they're doing, then sell them when they run out of talent.