Progress?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Progress?

Post by NWMO »

We had to move Tercel#2 into the garage to open up some parking. My son did a fantastic job cleaning the garage (I tend to not pick up the way I should) so we could move it in. It took him nearly 4 hours. When I got home from work today, I found him finishing the initial cleaning on Tercel#2 (it was pretty nasty). Fortunately he did wear a dust mask as there was mouse mess. Now I’m getting excited to finally spend some time on it when I get the opportunity. It sounds like my wife and son want to share it 😁. Sorry the pics aren’t very good.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Progress?

Post by dlb »

That one looks like it's in great shape. What work does it need?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

dlb,

Body us fairly rusty, but I believe the sub frame is reasonably good. It hasn’t run in eons, though the mechanic said he could get it to fire, but not run. I’m pretty certain I have fuel in the oil, so a new fuel pump and clean oil is where I will start.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

could also be a bad head gasket. typicaly when you get a non-runner, you only discover all of the problems after you get it running and on the road, to give it a complete shake down.

Your son is hired to come and help me clean out my garage. It needs it really badly.

I seem to only be able to get only a part of done at any time, and before I get to the rest of it, the first part is already filled up with other projects, stuff that never got put away, and left over materials from the most recent project. I would like it all cleaned out at once, I used to do that every other year or so, but I can never seem to get enough time to get it all done at once. I am afraid my daughters will have to clean it out after I pass away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 pm I am afraid my daughters will have to clean it out after I pass away.
This is a legitimate concern. My dad is a full on hoarder, like you see on those reality tv shows, and I've explained to him that if he doesn't clean up his 2-acre mess before he dies, he is going to be leaving all of his loved ones with a huge and miserable task to tackle, and while they're likely still grieving his death too. I implored him to not put us through that but hoarding is a symptom of mental illness -- telling a hoarder to clean up is like telling an alcoholic to just stop drinking -- so I've had no success on that front. I've tried to convince him to get counselling to treat the root of the problem but he doesn't see it as a problem, of course.

Anyway, my point is that you absolutely should make sure you clean up your stuff before you die, for the sake of your family if nothing else. The Swedish have a thing called 'death cleaning' where they start paring down on stuff after age 50. They do it slowly and steadily so that it's not a big job all at once, and then there's not much for their family to deal with once they're gone. I love it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/w ... ncna816511
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the house and basement are really not a problem, nor the garage really. the yard is free of non-running cars, old appliances and various detris, my wife can not stand to see junk in the yard. so it sometimes ends up in the garage waiting to go to recycling, taking up room in my work space.

It just seems there is never enough time to get the garage all cleaned out at once. I do a major cleaning every few years to prevent the typical build up. much of it is junk to go the trash/land fill, empty boxes, used car parts to go to recycling, etc. I do not like it that way, nor have no problem getting rid of anything I have no specific plans for. it is just there is only so much time in the week, when I have some free time I want to spend it outdoors, hiking, skiing, kayaking, etc, not cleaning out the garage. So it takes a low priority.

it will get done, sooner or later.

BTW, my wife helps clean up elderly peoples' property. it is relatively new personal business called "organizing". so she knows what a real hoarder is like. We have been going through various rooms of the house to thin down stuff we do not need. But like many people, we get "stuff-itis", soon after a room gets cleaned out, we find something else to put in it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

That is exciting. Let me know if you need help tracking down any parts.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Will do Diarmait,

With my son cleaning out Tercel #2 (had been used for some storage), I decided to cut the roof rack cross members to length and get them installed on the Rusty Frog, getting a little dark.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain