Tercel4wd.com Midwest meet/greet??

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tercel4wd.com Midwest meet/greet??

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Route A heads east from Hwy65. Rte A is asphalt for a ways and is the northern most intersection in the “Saddlebrook” pic. “A” goes east from Hwy65 and turns into Dry Hollow Rd. The water crossing pic is the northern stream crossing in the close up map. There are two more shown on google maps. If not too bad, Dry Hollow Rd turns into Cambridge, turns into Round Mountain Rd, possibly Cascade Rd and then tees into State Rte blacktop H.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

I do have an '81 Terc 2wd 5 speed. Unfortunately, the family and I will be headed up to Warsaw that weekend, so I'll have to skip this time. Another nice jaunt is just north of where that comes out. Take H north to Tabor Hollow (dirt/gravel), then make the first right on to Red Bridge Rd (lower route). Eventually, it connects with W (asphalt) which brings you to Hwy 14 between Ozark and Sparta. We drove it one Sunday a few months ago. There was a low water crossing, but wasn't deep. The only hazard we really encountered were large-ish (fist-grapefruit sized) rocks in the road near the crossing and a few spots where the side of the road had been washed out due to ditches being over capacity after recent heavy rains. Our Chrysler minivan did fine though, although meeting another vehicle would have been.....interesting. A neat feature of this road is the iron bridge spanning the same waterway forded further down stream on Cambridge/Dry Hollow. There's another road to the north of Redbridge that goes through MTNF that looks like fun. It's Lookout Rd(dirt)/Center(asphalt) between H and W(upper route). It takes you by the Chadwick atv trails. I haven't been on Lookout, but the Google Street View car has. There are a few areas of exposed bedrock and a low water bridge connecting Lookout and Center. Shouldn't be too challenging, though, since the Google car has been down it and didn't turn around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO

Would it be possible to change the weekend so slimdude85 can tag along as well..?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Slimdude,

I figure a skeleton crew this year and then hopefully with pics, etc. and some planning/notice, maybe we get a little group together next year. The 19th is the only good October weekend for us (my wife wants to come along). Thanks for the great input.

SirFoxx,

How does the 19th work for your truck buddy (if interested)?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Cobb Ridge campground sounds nice, reasonable and is right in this area at the ATV trails.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:49 pm Cobb Ridge campground sounds nice, reasonable and is right in this area at the ATV trails.

Chris
My truck friend said that date should be good. But we are both curious, are you wanting to go on the trails, or just drive around on the roads? As far as my friend and I could tell, the trails are only for atv, motorcycle, and side by sides.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Correct, the trails are off limits for us. I’m wanting to drive the forest service roads in this vicinity and the campground would be convenient.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

As it stands right now, its just going to be me, you (nwmo), my tacoma buddy (jacob), and maybe 1 or 2 FJ buddies of jacob. Of the toyota racing dudes, only the tercel guy wants to go, but doesnt trust his clutch, and doesnt know if he'll get one in time. I tried inviting a guy who had a 4 door 1st gen tercel for sale that I almost bought, and he said he's going to be out of town that week for work, and doesnt think he'll be back in time for the trip. I'll make a post in both the T4WD facebook group and the 1st gen tercel group, but I don't think anyone else is willing to go. We'll see.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Keegan,

I somehow missed your post. There are non-electric sites that can be reserved and some sites that are first come-first serve. I assume a generator would be fine on the non-electric sites, but I may call and ask. My wife and I are considering going down Friday, but we’re not sure yet. Forecast looks good, received my maps this weekend. I was thinking we might work our way south just a bit to Forsyth for a good meal, lunch or dinner on Saturday.
EC23DDD2-D78F-49BC-8B90-CE9DB5CC7B94.jpeg
1D631DA5-259E-4287-AB65-FDEA113E9ED2.jpeg

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

I gotcha. I got a question for ya. How set are you on camping..? Seeing as it might just be the two of us (friends are still trying to decide), what are your thoughts on possibly doing rallycross that saturday and sunday in grain valley instead? I think my toyota racing buddies are going to at least one of those events, and I think everyone would love watching the tercels rip around in the dirt!

https://www.kcrscca.org/our-racing/rall ... e-results/

I dont mind going camping. I'd have to pick up some supplies (tent? sleeping bag, etc.). My biggest concern is getting stranded with the odd build I have. Either way, lemme know what you think, and we can go from there.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

SirFoxx,

I fully understand concerns about being stranded, my wife is thinking about chasing with her van just in case. While the rallycross looks fun to visit, the stance on the Rusty Frog would make me pretty timid ripping around corners. I will definitely catch up with you guys at one of these meets though as it would be fun to see. As for the 19th, I am leaning heavily towards making the trek south even if it ends up just being my wife and I. I am not set on camping, but already owning the gear, it's cheaper than a hotel and we enjoy the outdoor experience (assuming it's not raining, which they are now showing a chance of). We could be pretty easily swayed to find an inexpensive hotel in Springfield and if we went down Friday evening, we might even catch Slimdude and check out his Terc.

My main hope is to scope the area out and hopefully post some good pics and info about the area for an organized get together next year. If you look that far ahead, we could start kicking around dates for 2020. Maybe by then I will have the Trusty Toad on the road and I could bring 2 cars.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 am SirFoxx,

I fully understand concerns about being stranded, my wife is thinking about chasing with her van just in case. While the rallycross looks fun to visit, the stance on the Rusty Frog would make me pretty timid ripping around corners. I will definitely catch up with you guys at one of these meets though as it would be fun to see. As for the 19th, I am leaning heavily towards making the trek south even if it ends up just being my wife and I. I am not set on camping, but already owning the gear, it's cheaper than a hotel and we enjoy the outdoor experience (assuming it's not raining, which they are now showing a chance of). We could be pretty easily swayed to find an inexpensive hotel in Springfield and if we went down Friday evening, we might even catch Slimdude and check out his Terc.

My main hope is to scope the area out and hopefully post some good pics and info about the area for an organized get together next year. If you look that far ahead, we could start kicking around dates for 2020. Maybe by then I will have the Trusty Toad on the road and I could bring 2 cars.

Chris
I think the stance would be fine as long as it isnt lifted with huge tires. I've done rallyx in my wagons before and they were okay.

I'm currently trying to get the tune sorted out on my holley. I installed a fuel pressure gauge found out that it was receiving 80psi of gas instead of the expected 60. However, during one of the logging periods (cold start till it hits 160*F), I noticed a sizeable oil puddle developing under the drivers side of the car. I am going to check the oil sensor this weekend, and if its not that, then I will have to pass on going. I am okay with small oil leaks, but having a hand-sized oil puddle appear within 20 minute of running the car is definitely a big concern for me.

If I am unable to attend, would you be able / willing to meet up for lunch or somethin in KC?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Sure, we could likely stop on our way down for a visit.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

NWMO,

I'm glad you found me on Facebook. I will try to be more active on this site going forward!
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)