Valve Seals

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Did my seals today and For the most part,it was fairly simple.My spring compressor is a Cam-type,witch I Like,but the hooks had to be "snaped"-into the springs because there so small.It turned out to be an advantage,once I was used to it.I do have a couple questions,for anyone interestet.1.A week before I gave my cylinders a compression test,I added a quart of Lucas oil Treatment.I think that probably tainted my results(170-across the board),what do you think? 2.There where Two(or three?) smaller Rocker-arm bolts that wernt shown or given torq-specs in my manual(Chilton),so I snuged-em down by hand,what give's? Thanks.
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Why don't you do a detailed writeup on how you did the job. What tools to use and what to watch for with the job. What did you use to hold the valves in place?

Do know that you don't want to compress the springs anymore than you need to and don't scratch them for sure.

Do you have the startup smoke anymore?

I'd think that the Lucas stuff might have upped your compression some...but probably wouldn't help a really serious problem.

As far as torquing stuff...usually you can "guess" the torque values from one bolt to the next...torque usually depends on bolt size and maybe what material it is threaded into...threads into alum can use less torque.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah,the torq-value for the main bolts were 18ft#'s in three passes but no torq was given for the smaller bolts,so Im forced to wing-it. I had forgotten about the Lucas additive when I did the Comp. test a week later,I would rather not have added it because it probably upped^ a false reading. As far as the springs go,theres a minimum comp. for releaseing the keepers and thats how I gauged it,and I dont know how you could insure that you dont "scratch" the springs,considering the amount of force with metal to metal contact.Thats probably refering to deeper cuts that might effect the temper? Im not shure if it burning oil still,if it is,Im "Gonna-go-Seafoam-on-its-ass",I already used that "Guarenteed to pass" stuff and judgeing by my plugs,it disolved alot of carbon(did you here that,Ice?).Ill try to do a Gen. step-by-step in Repairs later and thanks for that oil-check article,not to sound too-much like 3-ac(Heh-Heh),but I think thats how the repair sec. should be used,as a referance.Next...phase...pictures...Yesss...It all falling into place!.... :rolleyes:
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Just a test :blink: