Tercel4wd.com Midwest meet/greet??

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Tercel4wd.com Midwest meet/greet??

Post by NWMO »

Hey all (particularly Yaut, travelbyota, slimdude85, JDNightFox, krytios and SirFoxx),

I would like to help organize a get together this fall, possibly at the Ozark Gambler, but I'm game for just getting together in the Springfield, MO area as well. I'm certainly not interested in gamblin' my daily driver, but have inquired about how volunteers may help out. It would be fun to see the crazy cars and folks.

My older son just started at Mo State, so the Springfield region would be convenient, but we would miss the show of the Gamblin' crowd. Here is a link on the Ozark Gambler FB page, it takes place October 11-13 and is down in Ozark, AR.

Gamblin' the Ozarks 2019'

I will email Keegan (SirFoxx) and krytios (as they haven't been on here in a while) to see if they are interested in joining the conversation.

And anybody interested in the get together, please jump in, I just listed the folks I am aware of in that region, not trying to exclude anybody.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tercel4wd.com Midwest meet/greet??

Post by NWMO »

So,

After messaging with the Arkansas outfit, they don’t really need volunteers. A person can stay on the tame paths and skip the obstacles, would be fun. It would be great to have a Tercel group. A group build on a team car would be fun in the future.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

I think it would be awesome (assuming my tercel is running)! If you would like, I could invite a few of the other Toyota guys I've befriended through autocross /rallycross (one is a fx16, ae86, and another tercel guy!).

I'd be down for mild off roading, however, I only have summer tires and all seasons, so I wouldn't be able to do anything crazy.

Springfield would work for me. Seeing as my Tercel is a crazy odd build, I would hate to get stranded too far from home.

If anyone sees this and remembers me and wanting to do a 7age swap to my wagon, TL:DR I did it, but not really. I'll post info into the correct forum on that.

Keegan W.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

I was waiting to see if there would be any other responses, but since it’s been several weeks, I’ll throw my two cents in. I’d be up for getting together. Since I have the first gen 2wd, I would definitely have to stick to mundane roads. As such, Springfield-ish sounds good to me.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

It sounds like a Springfield meet & greet would be best. Surely we can find a back road here or there to take a drive. What weekend in October works best for everyone?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey All,

I would like to firm up a Springfield area get together for the third weekend in October (18-20). Unfortunately I don't see much for tent camping, but my family and I will be down in Kimberling City the last weekend of this month and I hope to take a look around. Mark Twain national forest appears to have a website with trail roads for a little off-roading, ranging from typical gravel roads to more advanced trails if others like. I think most of us would enjoy a scenic drive without anything too technical. I would love to get Yaut and byota involved as well, I will send them emails.

slimdude - have you seen the video of Keegan hooning his 1st gen on the autocross, fun stuff!!

Keegan Autocross

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is a link to some of the park roads in state parks in southern MO. The Ava unit is south of Springfield and is probably the closest. The Rolla unit wouldn't be a bad drive either.

Mark Twain Trail roads

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO, will we be camping or staying at your place, hotel, etc..? I sent a message to my toyota racing buddies, and will let you know if anyone else in interested.

If its okay with you, one of my coworkers would like to attend, especially if we do any off roading. He has a pretty stout 4x4 tacoma that he offroads with, and would be handy if any of us get stuck.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I live in northwest Missouri, so I assume some would camp/hotel and others would be near home. The more the merrier, though I don’t expect any serious offroading.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:50 pm I live in northwest Missouri, so I assume some would camp/hotel and others would be near home. The more the merrier, though I don’t expect any serious offroading.

Chris
As we near closer to the october 18-20 date, do we have a definitive meet up location..? and do we also have a trail or something we can all participate in..?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

My family and I are camping in Kimberling City this weekend, I’m hoping to scope out a drive and possibly find a campground closer to Springfield. Any suggestions or spots to check out (slimdude?) would be great.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:30 pm My family and I are camping in Kimberling City this weekend, I’m hoping to scope out a drive and possibly find a campground closer to Springfield. Any suggestions or spots to check out (slimdude?) would be great.

Chris
Sounds good. Hope I didn't sound too snippy :/ I'll ask my offroad buddy if he knows of any easy trails or scenic routes down in that area as well.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good morning all,

Headed home after a beautiful weekend on Tablerock Lake and drove past a possible national forest service road that may be fun for the meet & greet. Just south of Ozark, MO (less than 30 mins south of Springfield) there is a route off Hwy65 east into part of the Mark Twain national forest. We ran into a low water crossing pretty quick, so we didn’t go far, but here are some pics.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is the low water crossing, maybe 4”-6” at the deeepest and only for a few feet.

Pic with no car is headed into the forest, pic with van is from the far side after I walked across. Again, depth would be no problem, but the moss cover is pretty slippery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is one around the corner showing the service road into the forest.

Keegan - a second 4x4 (hopefully your buddy) would be good just in case somebody got in a pinch. The forest is beautiful and the trees may be turning in a few weeks which would be fantastic.

Travelbyota sold his tercel, still no word from Yaut. Slimdude, you have another 1st gen 2wd correct?

I’m going to start looking for a campground or cabin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain