Toyota is making an updated Tercel 4wd!

Post here about...well...anything!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Toyota is making an updated Tercel 4wd!

Post by Mattel »

https://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-tj-crui ... 1837559199

well.. kind of

This thing i small and really practical. I don't know why they are using the Landcruiser name.. should be a Tercel 4wd! I love the sliding doors and just the sparseness of it!.. what do you guys think?

Best Car goes on to claim that the production TJ Cruiser, like the concept, will be an all-wheel-drive hybrid (though a conventional gasoline version could be offered as well) based on a version of the TNGA architecture which underpins much of the Toyota lineup these days. The van could seat either five or seven occupants to the concept’s four, but the production version is rumored to remain small at only 4300 mm long with a 2750 mm wheelbase.

As its name suggests, the TJ Cruiser may be marketed as a spiritual successor to the FJ Cruiser, the heavily 4Runner-based retro-styled SUV marketed to younger buyers. What the TJ would have that the FJ largely lacked is practicality. The production TJ is rumored to retain the foldable seating and sliding doors of the concept and may be able to accomodate bulky items as long as three meters with the seats folded flat. With that kind of practicality and all-wheel-drive, Best Car argues that the TJ could end up as a competitor to the legendary but slightly larger Mitsubishi Delica.

Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Toyota is making an updated Tercel 4wd!

Post by splatterdog »

Where's the plaid!? Neat, but I feel that the only chance to get close to another T4 was eliminated when Scion went away. Most minivans are upscale now and practical cars in general barely exist. A power sliding door motor job in a 10 year old Odyssey is almost a G! Speaking of sliders, those block off a lot of doorway.

The fold flat front seat is a nice touch. If the drivers seat does too, you now have camping for 2. I've done T4 camping but at 6-1 you need a full duffle bag to stuff behind a full forward front seat.

The wrong way hood might be a deal breaker for me though. Those early Honda's, Saab's and Park Avenues with them sucked to work on. Nothing in a long time beats the under hood access of a T4.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Woof, that thing is UGLY. But I love vans, who am I kidding?
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Not a Tercel. ugly, boxy and no style other than a frankencube. too big and heavy.

we can not seem to get small light AWD/4wd cars here any more. the Yaris and Fit are available in AWD in japan and europe, thanks to our government looking out for us, we can not buy them here.

wonder if I can sneak one down from canada, and do the old paperwork switch-a-roo to get it licensed...err, I mean to use it to "restore" a wrecked equivalent FWD USD version...heh, heh...
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm not sure, I think its got its own style and is only 4300mm long so almost exactly the same as the Euro bumper version of our cars which are fairly utilitarian in many ways. Its only the front lights that let this down. but I love the interior especially the racking system inside the roof (if you head through the links. are they for curtains? In Japan I could have bought some surfboard rack for inside the car that would is a lot safer than outside the vehicle
Big wheels and safety gear is non negotiable these days I think. this would make a great mini camping vehicle!
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I was wondering what they are thinking those belts or straps they have though the seats. it appears they are going for a rugged retro look, rather than something practical. I am not sure how you would use those.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

I think they would be tie down straps? this whole thing looks really practical. I think the RAV4 hybrids rear wheels are only being powered by electric motors rather than a propeller shaft from the main engine now.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 am I think they would be tie down straps? this whole thing looks really practical.
I haul a lot of cargo in my cars, please explain how those straps are practical? How would you use them? only if you have something small enough to slip into them, than you waste a lot of cargo space around them.

those side grab rails look handy for all kinds of things, including as tie down points, presuming the seats will actually lock into the down position. with them along the edges you can throw a cargo net or rope over all of the cargo after you load it and still reach these side rails. unlike those belt/straps in the middle of the seats.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:17 am I was wondering what they are thinking those belts or straps they have though the seats. it appears they are going for a rugged retro look, rather than something practical. I am not sure how you would use those.
Generally concept cars have unconventional little ideas on them that never come to fruition, like those straps. I recall toyota had a concept where the sound system was removable for a portable speaker. Interesting, but not fool-proof enough for real life.

Also, the tread on the tires... EW! Why can they never put a realistic looking tread on their "future cars."
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Interesting that they compare this to the Mitsubishi Delica. I have a 1995 Delica and I can say that the delica has a place in my heart right next to the tercel. It really is a great vehicle! It is much more of a vehicle than the tercel in many ways. It's high clearance and stance is awesome! When I am passed by all those big jacked up F350's etc on the highway, I notice that I'm sitting just as high or higher up than they are. A good ego stroke for sure but the visibility is awesome! RHD is not hard to get used to and parallel parking is super easy. Passing visibility is not good. Yet as a tercel driver, I'm used to not being a speed demon and am often cruising on road trips with no urgency to pass on the highway. The 2.8l 4cyl turbo diesel has good power and gets around 10l/100km (about 25MPG)(automatic trans with O/D). It has shiftable RWD to 4WD and also centre diff lock. The downsides are that it's a heavier vehicle and, the lower fuel efficiency. It's also an exotic vehicle so parts are not so cheap. Winter is hard on the diesel in the Canadian Rockies. Below -20 Celsius it's a pain to start and the doors freeze up. Don't get me wrong, I still dig the tercel. Just saying, the Delica is really fun to drive, a great road tripping van and I'm really enjoying it. I'm certainly not giving up on the tercel and it makes a great daily driver and a great winter car.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member

Post by The Professor »

simon84 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm Winter is hard on the diesel in the Canadian Rockies. Below -20 Celsius it's a pain to start and the doors freeze up.
Spray a rag or paper towel with silicone spray and massage it into your door and window seals. This will help prevent the doors freezing shut.
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Thanks, that's a good tip. The main problem is that when it's -25 the key just won't unlock the door. It seems to be getting better as the locks wear in (you'd think a 25 year old vehicle would not have this issue!). I have just discovered that the problem with the sliding door is that the door release lever on the inside sticks half way when it;s cold. All I have to do is push it back to the normal position and it works again.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member

Post by The Professor »

If you're having trouble with the key in the door lock you need to lube the lock cylinder. There are several products out there, but I like the ones that have Teflon suspended in the fluid. With the little spray tube attached, poke the tube about 1/4 in. into the lock and give it a few short squirts. Next, take your key and work in in and out, locking and unlocking the door to distribute the lube completely throughout the lock cylinder. You may need to repeat this process a few times to free things up. Don't over do it with the lube though, or you'll have it dripping down your door, potentially damaging the paint.
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan