Stuck Passenger Axle - Need Help ASAP

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Stuck Passenger Axle - Need Help ASAP

Post by Abletobecain »

Hello all,

So I pulled my axle using xirdneh's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKOWhAKf2Qs

Pretty sure i got an axle like he did in the video with the inner splines a bit too big.

The problem I'm having is I managed to get it in but not quite enough and now I can't get it out.

I've been trying to pop it out with a prybar and it feels like I'm gonna break the bar or knock the car off the jack stands.

I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Re: Stuck Passenger Axle - Need Help ASAP

Post by Abletobecain »

Cancel that. I got it out. Now I just gotta figure out how to shave the splines a bit.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

use 400 grit wet and dry sand paper on the tops of the spline, usually that will do it. if when you drove it in, than pulled it out, it should leave marks on the spine where it was too small, use that as a guide for sanding it down.

if still not joy, you will have to use polishing compound and the female end of the spline (out of a junk diff) and polish the splines down to size. Not sure if there is a good way to do it without the other end of the spline, perhaps with a stiff brush, or wood form tool you cut to shape by hand.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

Thanks Petros. Luckily I have Mr. Bob Walker about 30 minutes from me. He has encountered this before and let me come over yesterday to use his shop and spider gear. It took a bit of pounding and pulling but it's in now and it fixed all my problems. Big thanks to xirdneh!
Paperpeople
My tercel:: 1985 sr5 wagon 4wd

Post by Paperpeople »

Been reading through this thread since I'm experiencing the same problem - Aaargh!

After much force, I have been able to get the axle out, but now I'm not sure of my next step (which is actually two steps away since in the process of getting it out of the transmission where it was stuck I thrashed the final 'cup' on the inside of the joint so I'll need ANOTHER new half shaft - pic below).

I haven't put a caliper on both of them (I have access to one at work) - they seem almost exactly the same diameter to my eye. Before we started the process I 'eyeballed' them both and other than the new gear threads looking a tiny bit wider, they seemed 'like and same'. The actually went in pretty smoothly but hung up with between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch from properly seating in the transmission.

Anyway - Any advice you can offer would be helpful. The new one I ordered was from rockauto (Cardone 66501). The way I see it I have three or four options - which would all of you experts recommend?
First - Return (or try to return) the one I thrashed since it was clearly not the right one for this vehicle/transmission even though it was listed as the preferred part on their website.

1. Here is a picture of the 'cup' at the end of the axle I bent - am I correct in assuming it isn't repairable without taking apart the entire half shaft? Could the axle still be used? This means I would have to sand off some fraction of an inch based on the caliper measurements I will get when I bring it to work this week.
2. I could buy a new one locally for twice the cost and something like $75 shipping. We have a local NAPA and and a carquest and autozone a few hours away I could get one from...
3. I could buy another one from Rockauto - This one is new, so I assume another one with the same part number would have the same 'diameter' issue. What about the others that they sell - has anyone tried the Trakmotive or APWI ones that Rockauto sells? What about the Remans that they sell- has anyone bought a half shaft and had it just go in like it should?
4. I could buy another of the same from Rockauto and sand it down to match the diameter (this is my least favored scenario)

I'm new to this whole 'hobby' so would appreciate any help all of you can offer! Thanks in advance!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3137c.jpg[attachment=1]UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3137c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I should have updated this man...sorry. trakmotive work perfect, cardones have to be shaved down somehow. I think xirdneh is writing cardone about how they suck. Where are you located?
Paperpeople
My tercel:: 1985 sr5 wagon 4wd

Post by Paperpeople »

I think I'll get a trakmotive - the rockauto prices are so much better than here that its the only reasonable alternative.

I'm in Seward Alaska
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I'd try to return the cardone too. They're usually reasonable about it plus they need to know it's wrong. Since you already put it on they'll likely just credit you.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Its not the diameter thats the problem, its the top sides of the spline teeth .
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that damaged sheet metal collar is just a dust shield, it will work fine without it. you can cut it off (carefully) and use the axles. the risk is it keeps small rocks, gravel and grit away form the seal in the side of the transmission, and it will allow the seal to wear out faster. at worst, running with out the shield means you will have to also replace the seal in the side of the diff housing. something that needs to be done regularly anyway.

if you are in a pinch, you can install the axle shaft after you removed the damaged shield, to get you on the road. Than when your new axle arrives, swap it out.

Do not buy manufactured CV axles, most are junk right out of the box. Not worth the cost/effort/reliability. if you have no other choice, than maybe, but only if you can return it the local dealer.

I usually have a supply of new replacement CV axles, or good used ones, that I got on a half off day at the local picknpull or rockauto (if you watch for a clearance sales sometimes you can get new CV axles assemblies for $27 from rockauto).

One time I needed a replacement in a hurry, and went to the local NAPA, who got one in that same day. it was a remanufactured one, and it works okay. So I feel I lucked out. in the past I have ordered two, before I paid for them I took them out of the box and rotated all the CV joints around in my hand. one of them felt like a file cutting through rough metal (not the smooth but firm sliding it should be). I happen to know the ower of that store, so when I told them I was not buy it because it was bad, the owner came over and I showed him. he said it will probably "wear in". I said every time the wheel turns one revolution on my car it will be doing that grinding, would he put that in his car? (they have a machine shop at that store so he knows about proper fit). He said he will order another for me. about half of the remans have been bad right out of the box. another forum member has had a higher reject rate than that with cardone remans.

buy only new CV axles when you can get them. stock pile new ones when you find them on sale.

and oh, you likely already know this, but next time you should know it is not necessary to put the pry bar all the way up against the spline shaft when you lever it out. It is not necessary to damage the dust shield to get it out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)