Oil Problems

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Native333
My tercel:: 1986

Oil Problems

Post by Native333 »

Hi my name is Joe and I just got another tercel, its a 86 with a 4ac engine swap. The engine goes through about a quart a day and im only driving about 20 miles a day to get to work and back home, I would drive it more if it didnt go through so much oil. Also when i step on the gas the dip stick goes up and smoke comes out of it. I have no idea how to fix it would appreciate if anyone could help thanks
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Oil Problems

Post by NWMO »

Native,

Your engine is in severe need of a rebuild or replacement.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

NWMO is correct. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like you have badly worn rings, scored cylinder walls, or both. This is allowing oil to get past the rings up into the compression chamber resulting in the oil being burned and, conversely, allowing combustion gases to get past the rings down into the crank case (oil pan area), increasing pressure there causing the dipstick to be forced up to allow that excess pressure to vent through the dipstick tube. The engine probably has bad to horrible to nonexistent compression on one or more of the cylinders as a result. Does it run rough? Are there any misfires?
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
Native333

Post by Native333 »

Thanks guys It does run rough and sounds choppy from the exhaust was gonna do a compression test soon
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yeah our first Tercel wagon burned a quart every 100 miles, but strangely without much blue smoke. It ran perfectly fine too, and had no leaks.

We ended up rebuilding that engine, didn't really see anything wrong with it though when we rebuilt it.

You may be better off finding another engine to make your swap quicker. Try car-part.com
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

pesuming it is not pumping it out on the ground, sounds like the rings are worn out. it allow the crankcase to presureize, pushing the dip stick up, likely spaying oil everywhere as well.

I would count on a full engine rebuild, with oversize pistons, and over bore the cylinder block. a major operation. or see if you can find a low mile replacement engine (good luck with that).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Where do you live? I have a GOOD engine I would like to sell---- I'm in Butte Montana. Larry
Native333

Post by Native333 »

Im out by Seattle Washington
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

larry mcgrath wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:15 pm Where do you live? I have a GOOD engine I would like to sell---- I'm in Butte Montana. Larry
It's a 4A-C?
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

3ac