Weber 32/36 Question

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Weber 32/36 Question

Post by Abletobecain »

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to order a Weber and I think I've got it figured out that I need the K740 kit right?

I don't want to cut my hood so I need to get a shorter filter with it as well I think.

I found a kit that says it comes with a "shorter 1 7/8 filter." I'm wondering if this is the one that I need to not cut my hood.

Anyone know for sure? Is there anything else I need for the install?

This is the kit: http://www.carburetion.com/Products/Pro ... ?Part=K740
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
jimijuma

Re: Weber 32/36 Question

Post by jimijuma »

I will be following this thread closely as I am looking at doing the same. How hard/complex is this swap? I have tried reading various threads on it. Whenever I look at the spider web of vacuum hoses, I get intimidated real quick. I am no expert by any means, I know just enough to be dangerous. Is there a pictorial on this swap?? I have been told that the weber can be temperamental and requires frequent adjustments indefinitely. Also, does the throttle cable have to be modified so that it is long enough? If so, how are people doing that? Finally, what do you do with all those vacuum lines, just plug them off??

Abletobecain: How comfortable are you about tackling this? Would you be willing to provide a pictorial when you do it (pretty please)?
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

I don't think it'll be that bad. Most of the vacuum lines just disappear. From my understanding there's a plug needed on the exhaust manifold and you can plug or remove the EGR. Not sure about the TVSV yet. I'll definitely take pictures as I do the swap. From all the posts I've read on them it seems like people really like them. It may require frequent adjustments...may not...but even if it does it's very very simple as compared to the stock carb. And increased MPG (if tuned right) along with increased HP?! That's a no brainer.

I have one T4 with a Weber on it that needs a head gasket so I have one to reference. Although...I'm not sure it is set up properly and is probably why the previous owner blew the head gasket.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Thst is the correct part number and the short filter will work, as long as your motor mounts are worn in. I preformed this swap a few years back and was quite excited to get all of the spiderweb of vacuum lines out of there.

There is a bolt you need to get to plug the EGR port on the manifold if you don't have a welder, I just can't remember the size or thread pitch though. It's possible that I might have it laying around somewhere.

Another mod needed is to space the throttle cable out about an inch so it'll be in line with the weber. I cannot find the write up of which I followed when I did it. All you do is cut a slit out of a washer and weld it to the existing bracket. I'll try and get some pictures up if there's none on here.

I can't really speak on the difference between stock and the weber because I did the swap almost as soon as I got the car. Jetting might be required as well depending on elevation and such. I'm not sure what it comes with but it works well.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

Whaddya mean "motor mounts worn in?" You mean like 32 year old stock motor mounts?

Yeah Bailey...any pics of your mods would definitely help.

I read on an old post that the transmission filler plug bolts up to the EGR port perfectly. Now if I only had a spare tranny lying around...
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I recently replaced my motor mounts and it gave the motor a considerable lift causing the short air filter to hit the hood. Lucky it was pliable enough to just smash it down rather than dent my hood up.

Here's the washer I mentoned.
20190730_151614.jpg

After the engine mount change:
20190730_151539.jpg
20190730_151545.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Leave out the old pcv/heater spacer plate under the carb(these are usually very crispy) and use a piece of bar stock with a hose nipple in place of the egr valve for pcv vacuum. A drain plug from napa is what I use on the other end. In these pics I just pinched and welded the tube shut viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2954&hilit=weberiffic

I reuse the stock throttle crank which keeps things lined up enough. It works way better than the weber crank. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5856
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have owned and driven Tercel4wd with both the weber and the stock carb installed, across the country. frankly it is hard to tell the difference, not a big increase in Hp near as I can tell. I have driven factory stock 3ac motors with more difference in economy and power (due to age and condition), than the change made between the stock carb and the weber. Perhaps if you can optimize the weber for economy you might get a mile or two better MPG, but the one I drove needed the jets replaced and did not deliver good economy (compared to a factory carb). by the time I got that corrected, I sold it so I do not know how that would have affected the economy.

the weber set up, with the now unnecessary emissions systems removed, is much simpler and easy to keep running well vs. always chasing your tail with vac leaks and system adjustments/maintenance.

Also, I suspect at extreme temperatures, both very cold, and very hot, the weber will not always behave well. many of the complex systems on the factory fuel system are to compensate for these extremes. These systems are missing from the weber.

I doubt the weber was the reason why the head gasket was blown on your parts car. Usually that has to do with the cooling system (bad thermostat, leaky system that allowed it to run hot, etc). If it was running too lean, it may have had a lot of ping, which could damage the head gasket. but that means it was not set up properly, and he should not have been driving it since it would have had noticeable amount of ping and knock.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member

Post by Abletobecain »

Thanks for the pics and links Bailey and Splatterdog...these will definitely be an asset when the kit arrives.

Petros...yea...simplicity is my main goal. MPG and HP will just be a bonus if they happen. Side note...it's not a parts car...I got another 87 dlx for basically the price of the Weber. The PO said it ran great then he put the Weber on and the head gasket blew shortly after. Perhaps a coincidence. Gonna change the gasket this weekend and I'm pretty sure my roommate will be buying the car from me. Another member in our club!
jimijuma

Post by jimijuma »

splatterdog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm Leave out the old pcv/heater spacer plate under the carb(these are usually very crispy) and use a piece of bar stock with a hose nipple in place of the egr valve for pcv vacuum. A drain plug from napa is what I use on the other end. In these pics I just pinched and welded the tube shut viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2954&hilit=weberiffic
Sorry if this is obvious, but I am new at this stuff. Can you explain what other end you plug up with the drain plug? Where is this located exactly? What tube are you pinching and welding shut? I have been pouring over all the Weber threads and I am a little hazy on this detail. Maybe obvious once I get into this, but I thought I would at least ask. I plan on using the aluminum bar stock at the EGR valve and using the modified crank instead of the Weber one.

I am sure this job is simpler than what I am imagining, but for some reason it is pretty intimidating for me.....
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

The drain plug is for the exhaust manifold end of the EGR pipe(banjo bolt), or pinch and weld the tube shut at the banjo bolt. Napa by me had the drain plug in stock that can replace that banjo bolt.
jimijuma

Post by jimijuma »

Finally got around to my Weber install. Man, what a big difference. Drastic improvement in my case....wow. I would highly recommend it. Much more responsive, more power. The only thing I don’t particularly care for is how much louder the car is now. The tone is definitely improved, but the overall increase in volume I don’t really care for. Overall a small price to pay. If you are on the fence about this, I would take the plunge. Follow the tutorials, including setting the timing to about 12-13 degrees. Modify the stock throttle crank as per SplatterDog’s tutorial, fabricate a plug for pcv vacuum. Do some searching and reading, all the info is here.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

if your tercel runs well with stock carb but you want more power just remove the primary jet and drill it out from 101 (usually) to 106. you will get the power but reduced MPG (like if you got 30 mpg you will get 26-27 mpg for same driving)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.