Front Diff

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ColSwede
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel Wagon 4wd

Re: Front Diff

Post by ColSwede »

I'm just outside Denver. I found his carb rebuild video when I was fixing my baby up after being in storage. The video was perfect! And more recently, his video on the front axles helped me with removing them from the donor car. Very informative and extremely helpful for the do-it-yourselfer!
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

SUCCESS!! The transmission etc has been fully removed from my donor car! Just moved it to my patio, which is covered, so I can begin to separate the diff from the rest... Would a Toyota dealer be a good place to go for info on all of the measurements, tolerances etc for all the internals, or is this something that would be going too far back and they wouldn't even know?
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Now that I have the unit out, I have removed all the bolts holding the diff onto the rest, but it doesn't seem to want to separate... I'm guessing internal components are keeping them together and I need to slide them apart in as straight of a line as possible? Suggestions? Tips? I really don't wanna screw anything up, kinda need this...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

likely the gasket is just gluing it together, make sure all of the bolts are out, and than it usually takes a couple of good whacks with a large soft mallet, and it will break free.

the factory service manual has a fairly detailed list of checks for clearances and wear for trans/diff components. the service manual is available for free download elsewhere on this site.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

“General” tab, “General Stickies Library of Links”, will be the first link in the list.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

I can get about a quarter of an inch of separation on the halves but that's about it... Am I missing something? If it's stuck in gear, would that keep it together?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

only three things connect diff to tranny
1. the end of countershaft goes into a roller bearing (that should not get stuck)
2. the end of main output shaft connects to pinion gear shaft with splined coupling (that could get stuck)
3. end of 5th gear shift shaft slips into hole in diff aluminum housing (doubt that could get stuck)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

How do I go about unstucking what ever might be stuck without messing up the diff?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

There is a bearing plate between the differential housing and the main housing, if you are trying to pull the bearing plate away from the transmission housing instead of the differential housing it will cause problems.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Going by that, Teranfirbt, I think that's what I'm actually doing, which might be my problem. So I'm guessing that I need to focus the separation about an inch and a half forward from where I've been trying? Some one at some point has been in this transmission before because there's red gasket maker on the forward piece...
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Hot dawg! I got the diff removed from the rest of the transmission! Thank you all so much, you've helped me out a ton! I looked at the gears and everything looks good. I see some, mashing I guess, on the biggest gear, on the edge, kinda between the teeth, but no broken teeth or anything. Gonna see about taking it to a shop to get thoroughly inspected.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you should replace the rear seal of the trans, and the select lever seal (on the side of the housing) and the rear main seal on the back of the engine while you have it out (you have to remove the flywheel, which can be troublesome). consider replacing the clutch as well, unless you know it is not too old (less than 40k miles). None cost much, and it will save you from having to pull it out for 80 to 100k miles.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

I already planned on doing the clutch, I think you had mentioned doing the rear main seal. However, I took the donor diff (or transfer case, depending on who I talk to) to a shop today to look it over. He said that this one isn't in the best of shape. Showed me where the "hardening" (I think that's what he called it) was wearing off the teeth of the ring gear... Anyone know where I can find new internals?
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

So I'm currently working on removing the transmission etc from my car and I'm trying to remove the input shaft... Does the car need to be in neutral? If it's in a gear, does that make removing the input shaft more difficult or does it matter?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I try grabbing it with large channel lock pliers first then vise grips. There is not much to grab onto. Maybe an 1/8" bit of shaft.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.