Tercel 4WD alternatives?

Post here about...well...anything!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Tercel 4WD alternatives?

Post by splatterdog »

dlb wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am
splatterdog wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:30 pm Don't forget about true 4wd, not that wussy awd business. My T4 dragged an 05 CRV across the lake last winter. Looked like it gave 90/10, maybe 80/20 at best. A T-case lever on the floor would be a deal maker!
I might be asking for trouble mentioning this here but I just bought an '05 CRV. It's got "real-time 4wd" (lol, in light of SD's above comment) but I don't mind that it probably sucks in that regard because we basically get no snow here anymore, and I'm now of the frame of mind that I'd usually rather stay home than risk driving in lousy conditions that require 4wd anyway. I honestly would have preferred a 2wd CRV since it would get better fuel economy, have less stuff that can go wrong, and less stuff in the way when working on it, but I got this one for only $1200 which is 1/3 the price of the cheapest I've been able to talk people down to on them previously.

I need to do some front end work on it, seems like it needs some tie rod ends, from wheel bearings, and possibly some ball joints. After that I'll start daily driving it. If we get snow this winter, I'll report back on how I find it in the stuff.
Haha, no sweat dlb. If you're happy, so am I. Good price too. The nastier the roads the better for me and my T4. The last blizzard we had I went halfway across town just for cheese curds and to pass EVERYONE.

Take a close look at sway bar links too. All honda's are popular for those.

I do have some affection for the Element. It's another boxy weirdo, and they look like the interior can be cleaned with a garden hose.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Tercel 4WD alternatives?

Post by dlb »

Ha, I've made those same kind of trips in the snow just because I could. My first gen Rav4 was excellent in the snow this last winter, it was very tempting to make a mid-snowstorm cheese curd trip.

Duly noted on the sway bar links, I'll take a close look at them when I dig into it.

I've always liked the 'hose out' interior of the Element too. I can't believe more vehicles don't come that way.