Power steering pump misfit to pressure hose

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
cromagmom
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 Tercel 4wd

Power steering pump misfit to pressure hose

Post by cromagmom »

I got a new cardone power steering pump from rockauto. The threads on the power steering pump are shorter than the threads on the pressure hose nut making it so the line cannot be fully tightened down and there is no way to prevent leakage. I thought about cutting and re-flaring the power steering line, though I don't think that would solve the problem since the nut is still too long.

Other than returning the pump to hopefully get one that has the right number of threads, is there some way to modify the pressure hose to fit?

Also, can I get away with just copper gaskets stacked onto the pressure hose nut or should I add an o-ring somewhere?
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Re: Power steering pump misfit to pressure hose

Post by slimdude85 »

If I’m understanding correctly, the nut on the line has a section of smooth, unthreaded metal nearest the flare, then the threads begin farther up the nut. If that is indeed the case, aside from sourcing a new line, the only way to make it work is to cut the line, get a shorter nut, and reflare the line (unless one of the others on the forum have experience with this and have a different solution.) Most part stores have a selection of inverted flare fittings. There was only the one option for pumps, right)
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
cromagmom
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 Tercel 4wd

Re: Power steering pump misfit to pressure hose

Post by cromagmom »

Yep, you got it. Fully tightened, the line still can move around. I think the flare fitting is a M16 1.5. I'll see what they have around me. I've picked up one of these re-manned pumps off of rockauto before and didn't have an issue with the fitting. Same exact part number, too.