Door Window Binding Discovery

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Door Window Binding Discovery

Post by xirdneh »

I discovered something new today regarding door windows that do not roll up or down easily .
I knew the regulator was good but no amount of adjusting would get the window to move up and down without binding.
So I removed the glass from another car that rolled easily and installed in the trouble door. It worked perfectly, rolling up and down with ease.
When I compared the two windows the difference was where the “U” channel was located on the bottom of the glass.
Measuring from the forward most point of the glass back to the bottom corner of the “U” channel , I got 5.64” for the bad one and 5.92” for the good one.
On the 5.92” one, I noticed when trying to install the 10mm bolt at the forward end of the channel it was a bit difficult to get the bolt in because channel hole did not center on access hole in door. I took an aviation snip to it, enlarging the aft side of access hole about 1/4 inch.
I had 5 other door windows in my stash so I measured all of them. They varied, three at 5.64 two at 5.8”.
I have removed the “U” channel in the past by setting a wood block against the top edge of the “U” channel and smacking it with a large rubber mallet. Spread out where you smack the channel going back and forth from end to middle to end and side to side (of glass) gradually working it off so it does not bend.
Clean the glass the rubber and the metal channel.
I do not lubricate or use glue to install channel.
Reinstall channel by installing rubber to glass first then set channel on rubber and smack channel with rubber mallet moving smacks along channel to work it on without bending it.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Door Window Binding Discovery

Post by NWMO »

Great post,

I see the sister post on the unrelated Facebook page as well. We even get a pic of you there RW. Keep up the great work.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I took my glass to an automotive glass shop and they swapped out my broken u-channel for free. I didn't want to break the window glass, having never touched the u-channel before.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Excellent video xirdeh, I have noticed the channels sitting in different places but was afraid of breaking the glass to try to reposition them. Also wasn't sure what the correct measurement was.